Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
IIRC, they did. They announced and pushed that the moment Big Sur and the first set of M1 Macs came out. That was part of the 2-year warning for dropping Intel.

Now relevant to a fresh OS install, I can see why they don't include it. If someone has no use for any x86-based applications on their Mac, having Rosetta installed on it would effectively be bloatware. They wouldn't need it nor should be stuck with programs they'll never use.

BL.

Except for Chess and Photo Booth. :rolleyes: :cool:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
IIRC, they did. They announced and pushed that the moment Big Sur and the first set of M1 Macs came out. That was part of the 2-year warning for dropping Intel.

Now relevant to a fresh OS install, I can see why they don't include it. If someone has no use for any x86-based applications on their Mac, having Rosetta installed on it would effectively be bloatware. They wouldn't need it nor should be stuck with programs they'll never use.

BL.
No, that’s not what I mean. What I mean is they completely cut off all “legacy” Intel apps by not even providing any Rosetta for download and install at all, even for people who has Intel apps on their Mac. Basically, any Intel Mac apps, even developed the day before M1 Mac release, will NOT run on Apple silicon Mac.

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
No, that’s not what I mean. What I mean is they completely cut off all “legacy” Intel apps by not even providing any Rosetta for download and install at all, even for people who has Intel apps on their Mac. Basically, any Intel Mac apps, even developed the day before M1 Mac release, will NOT run on Apple silicon Mac.

You’re flat out wrong.

On an M1 Mac here. Upon first launch of any Intel app, Rosetta is downloaded. Not sure what you’re talking about.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008

This would require a fork in the code for the OS. They'd have to maintain two separate code branches for the different architectures: one for Silicon, one for Intel. While that would be doable for Silicon, it would force the 3rd party developers' hands, as they would have to get their code over to Silicon, or essentially be dropped, whenever Apple decides to rip off the proverbial bandaid and abandon the Intel code branch.

Ripping off that bandaid would also mean they would abandon every Intel-based Mac that would still be under hardware support for the OS. That would tick off a lot of people who bought those Macs up to 2020.

BL.

Reactions: Shirasaki

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You’re flat out wrong.

On an M1 Mac here. Upon first launch of any Intel app, Rosetta is downloaded. Not sure what you’re talking about.
I’m not talking about what’s happened. I’m talking about a “what-if” when Apple chose to not develop Rosetta so that Intel Mac app would not run on early apple silicon Mac when they were released back in Nov 2020.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
This would require a fork in the code for the OS. They'd have to maintain two separate code branches for the different architectures: one for Silicon, one for Intel. While that would be doable for Silicon, it would force the 3rd party developers' hands, as they would have to get their code over to Silicon, or essentially be dropped, whenever Apple decides to rip off the proverbial bandaid and abandon the Intel code branch.

Ripping off that bandaid would also mean they would abandon every Intel-based Mac that would still be under hardware support for the OS. That would tick off a lot of people who bought those Macs up to 2020.

BL.
Seems reasonable, but I feel Apple is probably the only company on earth that can go that far to “cut off the legacy” so to speak. We now know what’s actually happening, but Apple could’ve gone far more aggressive and far less forgiving, maybe freeing up some silicon areas as well.

As for codebase support, they could ship Big Sur to Intel Mac and instead of releasing Monterey for Intel Mac, apple offer security and random feature update for supported machine, though that’d be very unlike their iOS version management. They probably think adding Rosetta is cheaper than maintaining two code bases of their macOS, even if only one major build would be released.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Seems reasonable, but I feel Apple is probably the only company on earth that can go that far to “cut off the legacy” so to speak. We now know what’s actually happening, but Apple could’ve gone far more aggressive and far less forgiving, maybe freeing up some silicon areas as well.

As for codebase support, they could ship Big Sur to Intel Mac and instead of releasing Monterey for Intel Mac, apple offer security and random feature update for supported machine, though that’d be very unlike their iOS version management. They probably think adding Rosetta is cheaper than maintaining two code bases of their macOS, even if only one major build would be released.

Yep.. that’s what Apple went with: adding Rosetta to save costs and save the 50-60% of those customers who have 2019 or older yet supported Macs.

Judging from my Mac, they would be looking at a 5-year code fork just to hold up on the 2020 Macs, and that’s just for software support. I want to say that High Sierra came out in 2016 and that was the last OS supported for my Mac. I want to say that my Mac went to obsolete status in 2017 or 2018, so we can expect another 2-3 years at the least, so we’ll have that bloat for a while. What will be interesting to see is how big the OS is after Intel gets dropped, as well as the difference in the count of how many lines of code are in the source after Intel gets dropped.

BL.

CheesegraterMac

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2022
Theses posts make me laugh.

You’ll be back. Windows 11 is trash. Microsoft doesn’t make a phone OS anymore and their first two surface duo phones are so far behind where they should have been at launch.

I have a Microsoft Surface pro I am about to sell if I can’t downgrade it because of being forced to upgrade to Windows 11.

I started with Linux, moved to Microsoft, went back to Linux, to Mac, to Linux again, back to Mac, and now run all three. I leaned almost 25 years ago that each has its own purpose as there is not one true OS to rule them all so I run them all, whenever I need to.
I regretted buying a surface go to the point i threw it in the trash (obviously not the right thing) and i am still wishing that i had a ipad to this day but hey. planning to buy a iphone.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009

Apple has done that several times before, I'm not sure why people are surprised. They went from 68xxx -> PowerPC -> Intel x86 -> AS. Apple, as the controller of the OS and Hardware, is the only company, outside of MS with the surface, that could pull that off in the PC world.

They included Rosetta to ease the transition.

I regretted buying a surface go to the point i threw it in the trash (obviously not the right thing) and i am still wishing that i had a ipad to this day but hey. planning to buy a iphone.

A friend has a surface and he hated it. The cover got badly worn and looked terrible, so coupled with various other issues he dumped it. I'm surprised MS did build a better product.

I tried an HP Envy and it was quite nice. I bought it do do som PowerBI programming , but did not keep it because I was able to use Parallels to run PowerBI, with the same level of performance, on my 2018 MBP. I am doing a new dashboarding project and convinced the client to do it in Excel so no need to run PowerBI.

CheesegraterMac

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2022
Apple has done that several times before, I'm not sure why people are surprised. They went from 68xxx -> PowerPC -> Intel x86 -> AS. Apple, as the controller of the OS and Hardware, is the only company, outside of MS with the surface, that could pull that off in the PC world.

They included Rosetta to ease the transition.

A friend has a surface and he hated it. The cover got badly worn and looked terrible, so coupled with various other issues he dumped it. I'm surprised MS did build a better product.

I tried an HP Envy and it was quite nice. I bought it do do som PowerBI programming , but did not keep it because I was able to use Parallels to run PowerBI, with the same level of performance, on my 2018 MBP. I am doing a new dashboarding project and convinced the client to do it in Excel so no need to run PowerBI.
One of my main points of buying a surface go 2 was multitasking, I didnt know that even normal devices like ipads and android tablets and android phones could do that, Ever since. I set to watch 10+ videos (reviews or unboxing) of a product before getting it.

Turns out that even the surface was bad for basic use, I buyed it as a budget windows tablet in a era where microsoft teams was needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.