GoodReader Capabilities?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by connshane, Aug 23, 2010.

1. connshane macrumors newbie

Several people where I work use the GoodReader v.2.8 for reading business documents. I am responsible for updating their iPads with our most recent version of these documents. We use an FTP server to transfer the files but I have to borrow their iPads and manually click each file within GoodReader to download it. Is there a way to download all the documents from a FTP server rather than going through and clicking each one? I do this weekly and there are about 200 files. I know there has to be a better process! Thanks in advance!

2. flavouringlife macrumors newbie

flavouringlife

Dropbox

Use Dropbox app. All you need to do is put all the document file in Dropbox folder in your Mac or PC, it will Sync automatically with the iPad. Once you change your document in Dropbox (PC or Mac) it will sync immediately. Cheers.
    You can add the Dropbox server in Goodreader as well, let it do the job for you. Cheers.

Check out here!

Alternative is Box.net, can share file among many peoples. Just need to upload file into one public folder created in Box.net website. Anyone authenticate can access to download the require files. Can set up Box.net server in Goodreader as well

3. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

With the file on Dropbox, though, do you have to be online to access it, like with other things on Dropbox?

4. flavouringlife macrumors newbie

flavouringlife

Yes, you are right Internet access is needed. There are pros and cons, most file transfer app need network connection either FTP or Internet. I believe nowadays, most people have wifi setup even no, there are many wifi hot spot to connect to Internet.

Or back to the old method, connect to iTunes and transfer file manually. But this is for case if only you need to do on 1 iPad. Cheers

5. connshane thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help! One question, does Dropbox automatically updated your GoodReader files? Or do you need to connect to Dropbox within GoodReader and download each file one at a time?

6. flavouringlife macrumors newbie

flavouringlife

Yes, need to connect and download each file but can download anywhere. If the file format is PDF, just use the Dropbox app instead of connect within Goodreader. Or Box.net app would be another solution. Both are popular for companies to share file among employees.

Both app support various formats file that commonly use.

7. halogan macrumors newbie

What if you zipped it? Download one file and export it in GoodReader. Just checked, works fine.

8. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

No you don't. You can select files as Favourites for offline reading. From the help menu:

"The Dropbox iPad app will download files when you mark them as Favorites by viewing a file and tapping the star icon."

9. halogan macrumors newbie

Yet you have to manually update every single favourite file, they're not downloaded automatically. And if there are any new files, you have to tick them as favourite.

10. iGuyiGuy macrumors member

My 2 cents..

I purchased goodreader and have had nothing but issues with it constantly crashing, especially when attempting to open files larger than a few MB..

Just an FYI..

11. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

12. Zodiak macrumors regular

PDFs can also be read through the iBooks app though you have to sync to put them on there :)

13. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

You can also open PDFs in iBooks from GoodReader.

14. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

How large of a PDF are you trying to open? I've opened a 107mb aviation PDF and it worked fine -- snappier than I would've expected, even.

To avoid having duplicate PDF's all over my iPad, I tend to put everything in GoodReader and use it to launch it in iAnnotate, or iBooks, etc. I didn't like how adding it to just iBooks meant I couldn't open that same file in other apps, so now I just drop it all into GoodReader.

15. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

There's a couple of workarounds in the Help > Troubleshooting section of GoodReader when PDFs crash the app.

16. Yeah Man macrumors member

I actually had a question about this as well. I have a 150mb, 3200 page PDF textbook and have recently been considering an iPad to consolidate that and the rest of my resources onto one digital device. Do you think the iPad would be able to handle a file of that caliber?

17. zed2 macrumors 6502a

NOPE.. best would be to split the PDF in to lots of little ones... maybe by chapters.

18. Yeah Man macrumors member

What would be the best way to split a large PDF? The file is already nicely sectioned out into chapters. If I could export them in their existing chapters, that would be great. Any suggestions?

19. zed2 macrumors 6502a

Simplest way is to open in preview, and print to PDF select the from and to pages and save as PDF.

--Guy

20. asdfx3 macrumors newbie

I have a 200mb textbook (only 2000 pages though) that works fine.

21. Yeah Man macrumors member

That's interesting. Thanks for your help. Perhaps I should attempt to load the document on somebody else's iPad to see for myself. Either way, the device is proving to be a useful reference tool.

22. IvanHutchins macrumors newbie

thank you flavouringlife for the help. I have the same problem as connshane. dopbox is working.

23. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I just noticed that there's a GoodReader for iPad update today -- PDF annotations!

Installing now, can't wait to test it out. :)

24. Yeah Man macrumors member

Quick Update: I got my iPad a few weeks ago, and was delighted to see GoodReader handling 150-250mb textbook PDF files without any hiccups. Can't wait to try out the new update.