Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cricketman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Hi everyone,

I AMA college student and have many textbooks on my iPad (3rd gen) in PDF format. I have been using Goodreader to view the files. I like the file management system, but recently the app has been crashing a lot and is also a little slow to render pages. The PDFs I read are large (50mb-250mb)

Will switching over to a different app improve performance or do the other alternatives (ie iAnnotate) also have the same drawbacks? Which app is best for viewing PDFs? I would like one that allows me to have folders and such similar to Goodreader

Aridia

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2011
Do yo have iOS 7? GoodReader is having several problems with it but they're already working on it. I'm having problems too.

nCats

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2013
Hi,

have you tried to switch to a slower PDF render engine? That helped me somewhat under iOS7, although I must admit I never had a need to view PDFs that large (only around 30 mb max).

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Try Documents by Readdle. It's free. Goodreader gave me issues even on iOS 6 (it would occasionally skip a page, but highlighting would show up as if you were highlighting text from the previous page). I didn't try Documents on iOS 6, but it's rock-solid on iOS 7. Like Goodreader, Documents allows you to highlight and annotate as well. It feels a lot cleaner than Goodreader did. It also makes transferring files over the local network easier. Just open Documents and your iPad will appear on the network, ready to be opened as a networked drive - no need to muck around with server settings or import through Dropbox anymore (although it can do that, if you want).

I've been using it with medical textbooks and haven't noticed any issues so far. I only wish I had discovered this before I spent money on Goodreader.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
So I'm not imaging this myself, I guess. I'm having major issues. I thought it was the particular document I was reading, even though it never gave me problems before

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
My favoured app for reading PDF is PDFExpert. I found that immediately after iOS7, there was a problem with it in the sense that it was crashing. But after the most recent update, the problem seems to have gone away.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I sent a bug report to Goodreader just recently, and also heard they were working on some recent issues. My issue was that the app would crash if my penstroke to highlight text started or ended off-screen.

Here's some general advice they gave (though it didn't help with my specific issue):

For the time being, go to GoodReader's settings for "Viewing PDF files" and switch "Prefer Faster Engine" to OFF, "Higher Quality Images" OFF, and "Pre-cache adjacent pages" OFF. This may work to temporarily fix the issue until we can provide an update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.