Goodreader laggy scrolling, Quickoffice laggy typing... due to Retina?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by coupdetat, Mar 21, 2012.

1. coupdetat macrumors 6502

Hey everyone,
    I'm brand new to the iPad ecosystem and have been disappointed so far. I had a heck of a time finding a decent office suite and PDF reader. I settled on Quickoffice and Goodreader.

Problem is, both programs run ridiculously slowly on my iPad. Goodreader is very, very choppy when scrolling around PDF files--basically unusable by my standards. Quickoffice lags when I type anything, so it's also pretty much unusable since I make tons of errors.

Is this a problem with my iPad? A problem with Retina Display incompatibility? Or common issues with these apps?

2. SgtBullmoose macrumors member

These are known issues eith these apps. For Goodreader, try using their soutions for optimsing pdfs. You can find that in the help menu. Wuickoffice was laggy on the ipad 2. Use Pages or Office2Hd

3. coupdetat thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, I see... I'll try to get a refund on Quickoffice and just write off the $5 spent on Goodreader as lesson learned. Adobe Reader is much faster and renders better than Goodreader, so I'll stick with that.

[edit] Goodreader only suggests a way to optimize PDFs from a Mac machine. Any idea as to how to do it on Windows 7?

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

nothing besides ibooks seems to have been updated for 5.1 or the retina screen. hopefully, we'll see updates soon. the text is quite blurry :(

5. coupdetat thread starter macrumors 6502

How well-known is the typing delay problem with quickoffice? I can find no reference to it in their support forum or knowledge base, but a few google searches tell me the issue has been around for a long time. No reviews ever mentioned it either. Does everyone experience it, or do only certain people get it?

6. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

They're not optimised for the new iPad yet. Give it time.

7. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

GoodReader is a freaking awesome app. I recommend it to nearly everyone. Very, very smooth on the iPad 1 and 2. Needs an update for the iPad 3, but the author is very responsive and active so I have no doubt it's coming soon.

I've never used QuickOffice, but I suspect it too needs an update. Pages, Keynote and Numbers are all very smooth on the iPad 3's screen. No lagginess.

8. itcomic macrumors member

I have Good Reader. Great app.

However, I have tried PDF Expert. Very satisfied so far. Also, the apps developer actually come to forum and read our concern/advices and keeps updating the app. I highly recommend this app for reading and editing PDF files.

9. tdream macrumors 65816

Well that's disappointing to hear considering Goodreader is a cornerstone iPad app. Hopefully they will update soon.

10. coupdetat thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple agreed to refund my money, they were very nice about it! Kudos to Apple customer support, which seems to usually value quick complaint resolution over penny-pinching. QuickOffice support gave me a few generic bits of advice ("increase data cache, reinstall") which of course did not work.

App store badly needs an application trial period. I have no idea what I'm getting with many of these apps, even the popular ones. Feels like a big gamble. For example, it was a big shock to me that Pages doesn't have a highlighting function.

11. Dukat macrumors regular

I too am experiencing lag when typing in Quickoffice Presentations and Documents. Spreadsheets do not exhibit lag.

Emailed the company, been 3 weeks with no reply. Great customer service, eh.