Goodreader problems, is there a better app?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Pattimavis, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Pattimavis macrumors newbie

For some time I have been using Goodreader, without any problems, to read and annotate pdf's.

Now I have some larger files , from 1 mb to 11 mb. Goodreader is constantly crashing when I am trying to read them. They contain some maps. Goodreader is now using the slower engine and not precaching. It is still crashing.

Can anyone recommend a suitable PDF reader to use? In the App store I have looked at Readdledocs, PDF Expert, PDF Reader Pro, PDF Reader Pro for Ipad, PDF Viewer, PDF Reader, among others. I don't know which one to get.
    Thanks

2. tzd macrumors newbie

3. Pattimavis thread starter macrumors newbie

Goodreader/ibooks

Thanks tzd. The same files crash ibooks.

4. wizee macrumors member

wizee

5. Pattimavis thread starter macrumors newbie

Goodreader/ibooks

Thank you for all your help.

In the meantime I looked more carefully at GOODREADER troubleshooting. I tried a hint to save the originals on Mac as a pdf again to make sure they are compatible with iOS. So far seems to have worked!

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

I originally had HORRIBLE experiences with GoodReader, and repeated attempts to contact the developer have been ignored. I cannot say if customer support is good or bad. It seems to be non-existent!

Yet, it is now my favorite reader. I have good news for you. I had a bunch of files that crashed the app as well, and I found a workaround. I don't know the technical details about why (maybe someone else can tell us) but in some files there are elements that the program (and native apple pdf reader) cannot handle. i have optimized the files and created separate ipad versions for them, and everything works. I haven't had a file yet that doesn't.

All you do is open a PDF and save it as an optimized file (file-->save as-->optimized pdf). I save mine as compatible with Acrobat 4.0. That's it. As an added bonus, the files are smaller :)

7. Pattimavis thread starter macrumors newbie

Goodreader/ibooks

Thanks Lucyjuicy, Palpatine, iloveapp and others.
    I have opened all the offending files again in Preview on Mac and saved again as PDF. This seems to have worked.
    Yes I do Like Goodreader. Will look at other apps if a problem again.

8. revenent macrumors regular

Using GoodReader for quite sometime now to open PDF files larger then 400MB and have no problems which you have reports thus far...:confused: