Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hounslowfish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
The Goodreader update for ios 7 is finally here and works a treat! We got our reader back....

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
The main advantage, as far as I'm concerned, is the ability to go from a subfolder directly to the root folder.

But how do we preview files now? I can't find that functionality, and I really liked it.

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
It reads PDFs, allows you to organize them in folders and as many subfolders as you want, and to annotate those files. That's mostly it. It can also open many other filetypes, but those are its main functionalities.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
What exactly does this app do that is so special?

It is well known and still a bestseller in the app store. I think it isn't so special as it used to be as the competition has catched up (and is even better in some aspects). The previous version of Goodreader had a few quirks which put people off and sometimes (like me) step over to an alternative (in my case PDF Expert 5).

A strong point of Goodreader was it could connect to a large variety of (internet) services (i.e. WebDav, SMB, Dropbox, ...).

I just tried out the new Goodreader a bit. I think it still is a solid app. But for me PDF Expert is better regarding:
- file management
- annotation in different fonts (Goodreader only has a single font)
- user interface
- PDF vertical scrolling (Goodreader still doesn't have this)

YMMV.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
It is well known and still a bestseller in the app store. I think it isn't so special as it used to be as the competition has catched up (and is even better in some aspects). The previous version of Goodreader had a few quirks which put people off and sometimes (like me) step over to an alternative (in my case PDF Expert 5).

A strong point of Goodreader was it could connect to a large variety of (internet) services (i.e. WebDav, SMB, Dropbox, ...).

I just tried out the new Goodreader a bit. I think it still is a solid app. But for me PDF Expert is better regarding:
- file management
- annotation in different fonts (Goodreader only has a single font)
- user interface
- PDF vertical scrolling (Goodreader still doesn't have this)

YMMV.
Opinionated and true; however, one feature I love in GR is the ability to modify sync behavior. PDF Expert only allows two-way. See my post here for more detail.

ShakinBake

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2013
What exactly does this app do that is so special?

I feel the same way. I just downloaded it an hour ago and I already regret it. IMO the free app Documents is better. Sure it doesn't have all the fancy annotation tools but other than that it can do most of what goodreader does plus it opens more file types.

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
Goodreader is to me the least underfeatured of the big PDF apps out there. None of them are "good" in the sense that they do what I want, but Goodreader lacks the fewest features. PDF Expert would be good if it had a decent zoom feature, not that mindblowingly idiotic implementation they came up with.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
How does this compare to Readdle's Documents?

For one, Goodreader and PDF Expert allow full annotation where as Documents is limited. Unless you do a lot of work with large PDF's or lot of annotating, Documents will be sufficient for you.

TNRC51

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2014
Sorry to say our experience with the "New" GoodReader is not positive at all. We have a small outside sales force of 10 iPad users. All have GoodReader that syncs to a NAS folder of catalogs. Needless to say, we use the app daily. The new version crashes very frequently to the point of frustration. I downloaded a new catalog yesterday that will crash the app immediately without even opening it if I click the folder that contains it. Other files can be opened but flipping a few pages crashes the app. I'm very disappointed as over the last few years this had become and vital tool for our employees. Now I am searching for an alternative to replace it. The key is one that allows us to sync the documents with the file server.

A small user with a few documents may fare better than our needs...

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Sorry to say our experience with the "New" GoodReader is not positive at all. We have a small outside sales force of 10 iPad users. All have GoodReader that syncs to a NAS folder of catalogs. Needless to say, we use the app daily. The new version crashes very frequently to the point of frustration. I downloaded a new catalog yesterday that will crash the app immediately without even opening it if I click the folder that contains it. Other files can be opened but flipping a few pages crashes the app. I'm very disappointed as over the last few years this had become and vital tool for our employees. Now I am searching for an alternative to replace it. The key is one that allows us to sync the documents with the file server.

A small user with a few documents may fare better than our needs...

What iPad? I'm using an iPad 4 and haven't had a single crash with the latest update. Use it daily for PDFs that are generally over 500 pages long and heavy on graphics (so it's about 2-3GBs total).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.