GoodReader v4 out - anyone try it yet?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by TJ61, May 8, 2014.

1. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

I see GoodReader has just put out a paid upgrade, on sale for $2.99. It appears to be universal now with a few new features. The current version is doing everything I need so far, and the new features aren't too compelling for me. But maybe there's a lot more that they didn't mention.

2. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Of course I just bought the iphone version 3 weeks ago..... #

3. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

I'm actually disappointed by this upgrade. Judging by the images, the interface looks identical and they had just added some additional PDF tools and released it as a brand new app. I realise the app store isn't conducive to a paid upgrade model but after separately purchasing both iPhone and ipad versions of the original app, the new features are rolled into a new that doesn't benefit existing customers. New users can purchase the single new app now at a discount, get a universal app for both iPhone & ipad and also get everything existing customers have plus some extras.

4. campyguy macrumors 68030

I like the new navigation tools and that the app is universal now, and the apps have been very handy for me so I forked over the $3 "upgrade".

I like that the option to upgrade is just that - an option - as opposed to the $3 "ransomware" to remove ads that EA/Popcap has done with Bejeweled :mad::mad: or the PITA nagware that Craiglist+ has now with their latest update ($2 nag every frickin' time I navigate in that app). :mad:

5. TJ61 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That was kind of my take on it. I haven't seen any difference in the interface, but creating your own pdf's seems kinda big...and useful. In hindsight, I'm kind of surprised they didn't do a paid upgrade with the last fairly substantial 3.x update. That was about the time that Readdle pulled their v5.0 paid update with PDF Expert that upset a few people IIRC.

In the end I decided to get on the v4.0 bandwagon while it's cheap (glad I held off on purchasing the iPhone version). It's really been a workhorse app for me.