Goofy reception?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spinedoc77, Dec 13, 2014.

1. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I'm having some weird issues with reception on my 6 plus in my gym. I previously had a Note 4 which got great reception in my gym, except for one dead spot that was just this one corner of the gym. It's a big metal hanger type of gym. My Note 4 usually showed just a single bar, but it wouldn't drop unless I was in that specific corner.

First time today I brought my 6 plus to the gym. It kept dropping out, but it was odd. It dropped out and showed 3 bars of service and 4G, completely dropped out no internet, no streaming music, nada. Then sporadically it would connect again, but this time with only one bar, but it would work perfectly until it dropped again. I'm almost tempted to say it was bouncing between two towers, I don't know.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm a bit disappointed as I use my phone to stream music in the gym daily.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Sounds like there is just plain not enough signal in this metal building to maintain a phone call. RF propagation can be very weird at times.

Might try to force your phone into 2g mode. It will be slower for data but 2g requires much less signal for calls.

3. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

My main concern is streaming music, I wonder if 2g will be fast enough. How do I force it? It's worth a try.

4. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

You won't be able to stream anything on 2G.

5. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Bleh well that stinks, I'm surprised it has worse reception than my Note 4.

6. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Me too. The iPhone 6 has the same signal innards as the Nexus 6, and Motorola are reknowned for their reception prowess. Either the iPhone antennas aren't as good or as big, or it's the Apple software. Samsung, on the other hand, are famous for their mediocre reception.

7. phositadc macrumors 6502

What made you switch from note 4 to 6+?

8. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Mainly just to satisfy an itch. The iPhone 6 just feels so nice in the hand, and I prefer Siri for day to day stuff, and the ip6 feels much faster to me except web browsing. I think what threw me over the edge was 1) having a ATT note 4 that was locked down and couldn't be rooted and 2) researching jailbreaking I realized there was a LOT of options and things to add to iOS. It didn't hurt either that the Note 4 had a horrible resale value and someone offered me a 64gb ip6+ as a straight up trade, I said the hell with it. They are BOTH phenomenal phones though, I wish I could combine them somehow.