Google: 18 Android phones coming this year, possibly more

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by edesignuk, May 28, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Engadget.

The competition is going to be hotting up, a lot. :cool:

2. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Very interesting indeed. So, when can I load Android on my iPhone?

3. johnqh macrumors regular

That is the worst thing which can happen to developers.

Who can get 18 phones for testing?

4. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Why, isn't Android like any other OS, where a program should in most cases work the same across the board?

All of these slick smart phones and their OS's is only a good thing for us consumers.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    1) That's what a beta tester community is for. Just as iPhone developers give out their apps to up to 100 users for testing.

2) For super serious developers, there are companies that have every kind of phone known to man, available for remote-controlled testing.

Shouldn't be a major issue in this case, though. Android isn't fragmented as far as basic features yet.

6. johnqh macrumors regular

No,

Android is like any other MOBILE PHONE OS, where a program WILL NOT work correctly (unless the developer specifically coded and tested) on phones with different screen resolution, networking capacity, keyboard configuration, camera, accelerometer, digital compass, etc.

7. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Impressive. One problem they could have is will the display and interfaces amongst the fones be consistent? Or maybe there will be 2 flavors of the OS: one for basic fones with no screen, the other for smart fones. I just wonder can the cell fone market can support so many different OS.

8. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I think you're wrong there.

You don't have to test Apps against hardware. You test it against the OS.

The Dev simply tests against the Android version and can state hardware requirements for elements to work (gps or whatever). They will not need to test per device, that would be crazy.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Right, just like testing against the iPod touch Models 1 and 2, the first iPhone, the second iPhone with GPS and 3G, and the coming one with probable compass, etc.

Yet I doubt many iPhone developers own all those different models. Just simulations. I suspect Android developers will use the same method.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

IMO, they should not market all three "varieties" as "android" because people aren't going to realize what they're getting. If it's different software, acknowledge that in the branding.

11. nfl46 macrumors 603

12. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I really dont think its a "they", nor do I feel they are over-doing it. These are different companies that have decided to put the OS on their phones. i.e. Motorola, Samsung and HTC to name a few.

The more phones that the OS is on, the quicker I feel the OS will evolve and become better.

13. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Overdoing what? They are following what M$ did with windows...