Google Accelerating Closure of Google+ Due to API Bug, Will Now End in April 2019

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 10, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Google today announced that it is expediting the closure of its Google+ social platform, which was previously set to end in August 2019 and will now be shut down in April 2019.

The company explained that it's doing this because of a discovery that 52.5 million users were impacted by a software update in November that contained a bug affecting Google+ API.

The bug appears to be connected to a certain Google+ API that let apps view information that users added to their profile, even if the user had set this data as private.

This included their name, email address, occupation, age, and more, but not financial data, passwords, or national identification numbers.

While Google discovered and addressed the bug within a week, and promises no third party compromised its systems, it has decided to hasten the closure of the consumer version of Google+ and all Google+ APIs. Ahead of the April 2019 sunsetting of the platform, the network's APIs will be shut down within 90 days from today.

Google explained what it knows about the bug:
    Google says that ahead of the closure of the consumer Google+, in the coming months it will provide users with additional information on how to safely and securely download and migrate their data off of the platform. In the end, Google also reiterated on its original reasoning behind the sunsetting of Google+, which is because of "the significant challenges involved in maintaining a successful product that meets consumers' expectations, as well as the platform's low usage."

The pushed up end date for Google+ comes just under a week after the company announced the closure of Google Allo, which will see many of its features migrated to the main Google Messages app on Android.

Article Link: Google Accelerating Closure of Google+ Due to API Bug, Will Now End in April 2019

2. deadoctopi macrumors member

deadoctopi

Not sure this warranted an entire article, the headline alone was sufficient info for the seven people who still log into it.

3. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

Every closure of a Google service is a good service.

4. jonblatho macrumors 6502a

jonblatho

Remember the good old days, when people were wailing about why Apple wasn't getting into social media?

This stuff is a good reason why. Can't have a data breach incident if you don't have the data in the first place.

5. technole macrumors regular

technole

Oh they have social media, it is called iMessage and they have everything you send in data centers.

6. jonblatho macrumors 6502a

jonblatho

I mean, yeah, but end-to-end encrypted messages are pretty useless

7. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

No. I don't remember anyone wanting Apple to create a social media platform. Can you post a source to your claim?

8. 4jasontv macrumors 65816

PING! /s

9. imola.zhp macrumors 6502a

imola.zhp

I'll set a reminder for late March to log in and catch up on 3-4 years worth of missed activity. It probably wont take me 5 minutes.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 10, 2018 ---
    Touche

10. jonblatho macrumors 6502a

jonblatho

Yes, I found one with an easy search and I'm sure I could find more, but I also skipped any articles that seemed to focus explicitly on iTunes Ping, and that probably excludes a good number of takes from the time on how Apple should really do social media.

Why Apple Needs a Real Social Network (from 2011; argues that Facebook poses an existential threat to Apple's business model)

11. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

And yet Google is still somehow the golden boy of the tech industry who can do no wrong—never mind their complete disregard for consumer privacy and security, the many services they shutter all the time, the many problems they've had with companies they have acquired such as Nest and Motorola, and their role in helping to spread misinformation—somewhat in searches, but mainly in advertisements.

12. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

Honest question... If they shut it down today, would it really impact anything? Not aware of anything that actually uses this service.

13. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

You might be overstating Google's popularity... I know plenty of people who don't trust them. I don't trust them.

I'd imagine that anyone who uses DuckDuckGo and/or Firefox is doing it because they explicitly do not trust Google.

14. sshambles macrumors 6502a

sshambles

15. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Shutter the whole Google/Alphabet company, that's my wish, along with Facebook.

16. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Yeah I've switched to using DuckDuckGo for 95% of my searches. It's not perfect but better than it was when I first tried it years ago and if I have trouble finding something then I relent and use Google. But Google is by far the leader in search and many companies and schools rely on Google Docs for everything. So many kids are being brought up on Google and just used to not having privacy. Eventually it will only be us oldies resisting in the future and by then they will just ignore us because our demographic doesn't matter. I'm around a lot of college kids and interns at my work and many of them don't get my hangups with privacy because they have zero expectation of privacy. They were born into the like share post subscribe retweet story blog vlog. I'm in my early 30s and although I was heavily into these systems early on, I also remember a time before that quite well. They completely lack perspective and they are the ones building the future of tech now.

17. corebeliefs Suspended

corebeliefs

Remember when we thought Google was smart?

18. brenton289 macrumors newbie

iTunes Ping. Google it.

19. Shiro_Simba Suspended

Shiro_Simba

Yeah, competition is awful for the end user .
    Wrong - none wanted Apple to create that crap :p it was Apple who thought that idea was a good one ;)
    Did Apple users ask for Ping ? The statement holds that no one wanted Apple to create Ping. No ?
    Yeah - about the same period Apple products were good value for money . How far both have fallen :(

20. Pakaku macrumors 68010

Pakaku

The sad thing is I could easily imagine Google just shutting down an entire service over finding a bug and deciding they'd rather not bother to fix it

21. 31 Flavas macrumors 6502

iMessage is end to end encrypted - if Apple had access to or was storing your iMessages the police would have subpoena power and we wouldn't have things like the San Bernardino iPhone access case. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t think so.

22. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

They ARE. Part of the intelligence is having the gall to release lots of different products.
    It can be frustrating for consumers, but the end result is gems like Gmail.

23. logicstudiouser macrumors 6502

logicstudiouser

Who will miss this?

****SPOILER ALERT****

No one.

24. pika2000 macrumors 601

This is why all the Google apps pre-installed on Android phones are bloatware, considering many of them might be discontinued, thus taking up space on your phone for nothing. Google+ was pre-installed on many Android phones and cannot be removed (only disabled).

25. corebeliefs Suspended

corebeliefs

Name one thing that Google is doing with excellence. (Considering Gmail is ancient history.)