Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Google Acquires Softcard Technology, Inks Deal With Carriers to Pre-Install Google Wallet on Android Devices

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following rumors of an acquisition, Google today announced that it has purchased some technology and intellectual property from NFC-based mobile payment service Softcard, formerly known as Isis Mobile Wallet. The purchase will allow Google to improve upon its existing mobile wallet technology to better compete with Apple Pay.

Owned jointly by AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile, Softcard was established in 2010 in an effort to allow the three carriers to enter the mobile payment market. As an NFC-based payment option that works primarily with Android-based phones, Softcard has been a major Google Wallet competitor, arguably stunting NFC mobile payment growth for both companies.

Google Wallet nearly floundered following its 2011 debut after Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile refused to support the app in favor of Softcard (then known as Isis). Google later found a way to circumvent the Google Wallet lockout, but its growth has suffered amid competition from Softcard and other payment technologies.

Today's purchase consolidates the number of payment options for Android devices and it lets Google establish a deal with the three carriers to build Google Wallet into future Android phones for the first time.
So today, we're excited to announce that we're working with AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile USA and Verizon Wireless, as well as their mobile payments company Softcard, to help more Android users get the benefits of tap and pay. Under this relationship, the Google Wallet app, including the tap and pay functionality, will come pre-installed on Android phones (running KitKat or higher) sold by these carriers in the US later this year. We're also acquiring some exciting technology and intellectual property from Softcard to make Google Wallet better.
The early success of Apple Pay has sparked a lot of interest in mobile payments in recent months. Along with Google's acquisition of Softcard, Samsung has recently purchased LoopPay in an effort to develop its own payments solution.

It is not clear if Google's purchase of Softcard technology means Softcard will be shutting its own payments service down entirely. According to Softcard, its existing customers can continue to use the Softcard service for the time being, and more information is forthcoming from the company.

Article Link: Google Acquires Softcard Technology, Inks Deal With Carriers to Pre-Install Google Wallet on Android Devices

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
Not sure why Google is buying another payment company, when they already have their own payment options...

They just dont' use them!

come on google. You can't claim Google Wallet was a dud, If you never pushed it out or rolled it out to anyone other than Americans.... who have notoriously been terrible at upgrading their Credit Card terminals (decades behind in some places).

so, the countries around the world with NFC terminals ready for years haven't had a phone they could use them with because Google still wont release the damn thing outside of the USA

Comment

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2012
I have Google Wallet on my Nexus 4, but the only time I use it is when Google has a promo that requires it, such as free Play credits. I just don't see any compelling reason to use Wallet -- or Apple Pay, if I had an iPhone -- instead of a credit card. They all seem like solutions to non-problems, at least for consumers. Maybe there are compelling benefits for merchants and payment companies.

Comment

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I said this before: Apple Pay will change mobile payments because it forces Google to update and promote Wallet to be competitive, meaning iPhone and Android users both have a way to pay with their phone.

Before Apple Pay, no one mentioned Google Wallet in the iOS v Android debate; Apple has made it relevant.

Comment

b0nd18t

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Really sucks for Google that they have to go through carriers to get this feature to work. That is not a winning strategy.

Comment

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
I said this before: Apple Pay will change mobile payments because it forces Google to update and promote Wallet to be competitive, meaning iPhone and Android users both have a way to pay with their phone.

Before Apple Pay, no one mentioned Google Wallet in the iOS v Android debate; Apple has made it relevant.

You might have to keep saying it. Over and over and over and over again.

Comment

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Olathe, KS

Nobody mentioned it here because Apple lovers didn't have anything to compare it too, lol. Now that they do, they're the first to say, "Google Wallet sucks. Freakin' copycats."

Comment

SteveLV702

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
Have ApplePay on my iPhone 6 Plus have ALL my debit & credit cards on it.

Have Softcard on my Galaxy Note 4 and well its pretty useless cause doesn't support ANY of my Chase Debit cards only card I have that it supports is the Serve prepaid card from American Express.

Comment

jamescobalt

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Boston, MA
oops. article says "nearly floundered" but you mean "nearly foundered"
founder means to sink or to fail
flounder means to move awkwardly or with difficulty

-man with too much time

Comment

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Buy CurrentC too. Then you can have all the hot messes under one roof. Maybe that way they can stitch together something that will compete with Apple Pay. So far nothing seems close.

Comment

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
People say Google Wallet competes with Apple Pay, but it doesn't really. Apple Pay offers secure, device-side tokenization , integration with biometric security, and does not share your purchase information with third parties (including Apple).

The question is when will Google start copying the important parts of Apple Pay? Or does its lack of hardware control and existence as a marketing company mean it can't?

Comment

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Meh. I would like to see some apple pay lovin here in the UK

Comment

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
Google Acquires Softcard Technology, Inks Deal With Carriers to Pre-Install G...

Oh it was mentioned alright... Apple fanboys called it stupid and a gimmick. I had it first.. Well one of the first to use it on my Nexus S4G when Google gave you a free $25 dollar credit. And other phones who supported NFC also could use google wallet via an XDA hack.

People say Google Wallet competes with Apple Pay, but it doesn't really. Apple Pay offers secure, device-side tokenization , integration with biometric security, and does not share your purchase information with third parties (including Apple).

The question is when will Google start copying the important parts of Apple Pay? Or does its lack of hardware control and existence as a marketing company mean it can't?

And in Google's defense, they were really testing the waters with NFC payment technologies in cell phones. Why invest millions in a product that people won't use? The way I see it, Google was waiting for competition which if it's true.. It was very smart. Cause now it can invest more money into a better product!

Last edited:
Comment

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Not sure why Google is buying another payment company, when they already have their own payment options...

I don't think this was about buying another payment company, but about teaming up with the carriers to compete against Apple. The carriers and Google probably realized Apple Pay was going to take the market if they didn't get together in one voice.

The main effect of this agreement is to get Google Pay on the Android phones, and allow the carriers to let someone else focus on this realm, which still reaping the benefits.

Comment

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
A quiet place in NY.

Apple Legal will be all over it. :apple:

Comment

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
weak late deperate effort

come on google. You can't claim Google Wallet was a dud, If you never pushed it out or rolled it out to anyone other than Americans.... who have notoriously been terrible at upgrading their Credit Card terminals (decades behind in some places).

so, the countries around the world with NFC terminals ready for years haven't had a phone they could use them with because Google still wont release the damn thing outside of the USA

First off - the more the merrier because we WANT high adoption rates so that retailers/etc install the right devices. Period.

Second - they didn't buy the company as much as they bought the relationship with the carriers. Actually a smart move - because now all Android devices will come with Google Wallet instead of a "competing" product.

Actually, I think it was a smart move.

Comment

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
Lol Google, Samsung, Microsoft ... the ever growing and loyal Apple's followers.

Comment

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

It was mentioned all the time, but kept being shot down because NFC payments were supposedly irrelevant. Now Apple is doing it, and it's the next big thing.

Comment

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
Google Acquires Softcard Technology, Inks Deal With Carriers to Pre-Install G...

It was mentioned all the time, but kept being shot down because NFC payments were supposedly irrelevant. Now Apple is doing it, and it's the next big thing.

Don't sugarcoat it

Apple Fanboys- " it's stupid and a gimmick, Apple will never adopt it"

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.