Google Adding Song Lyrics To Search

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by JamesMike, Dec 22, 2014.

1. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

2. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

4. numlock, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014

numlock macrumors 68000

yet another service being swallowed up by the giants.

its convenient but its giving their offering a much more prominent place in the results. considering some of googles tactics i would have thought they would be against net neutrality.

this alone may seem quite small to us casual browsers but with all the recent news regarding the eu looking into google i started wondering about how all the sites and services that only really google, ms, apple and compete in now. quite disheartening imo.

5. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Change is a nature of life...

What does showing song lyrics have to do with net neutrality? If you don't like Google's search results you certainly don't have to use Google search. You do have a multitude of old school search engines to choose from...

Time marches on... Search evolves and will continue to evolve.

6. numlock, Dec 26, 2014

numlock macrumors 68000

i was not denying this had happened ie a change had occurred. as i said it is a certain convenience but not all change has to be positive and people can have differing views. that dosent mean reluctance to accept change.

song lyrics dont have anything to do with net neutrality and nowhere did i claim that. one can speculate though that a company that favours net neutrality to favour neutrality in the delivery of search results yet as yelp and others have shown sadly that is not the case. which brings us to the eu investigation which was the crux of my post and you obviously overlooked.

and the tried and trusted nobody is forced to use google but for a few reasons they are the biggest by far and i personally find it alarming if every business/service they find interesting becomes another project subsidised by ad revenue.

the evolution of search and pushing your own product are not one and the same.

nice video.

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Then why act surprised when progress occurs? People have been predicting that the evolution of search for decades. Look at how Star Trek TV series of the 1960s envisioned that people would interact with computers in the future.

Do you want to (A) simply ask "What is the weather tomorrow?" and immediately find out (what your local weather forecast for tomorrow is), or do you want (B) to browse through a list of 50-million sites that might offer your local weather forecast, then pick one out to visit, plug in your ZIP code and spend a few minutes trying to find out what the weather will be?

Personally, I'd rather do "A".

I didn't overlook anything. I just feel you're comparing apples with oranges.

Business promote their own interests and try to find ways monazite services they offer for free. Businesses aren't charities.

Tech firms promote their own ecosystems, be it Apple, Microsoft, Google, or whatever company.

8. numlock, Dec 26, 2014

numlock macrumors 68000

sadly im not well versed in star trek so ...

this will be the third post in this thread where i say i see the convenience in this. however as far as i can tell there is a huge difference in that the weather data comes from weather.com (clearly visible at least in my searches) and if you inquire further into it will lead you to weather.com while lyrics seems to link to google play so if there is an apples and oranges comparison here its this one although you probably just picked weather randomly.

how so? what exactly is the difference in someones bytes travelling faster than a competitors and someones links getting more prominent without a reason?

who is proclaiming anything to counter that? that dosent mean everyone finds that appealing or that it will result in a richer internet. but most important is that it has nothing to do with progress and change which was the crux of your first reply.

that has become much more apparent in the last few years and getting quite extreme imo. just check out the value offered in the 365 plan ms offers. how is any new entry in the voip, online storage or office apps game going to compete with that?

will those that want to publish lyrics online have to create a search engine as well to serve them up?

9. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Have you never watched a TV show or movie where persons communicated with computers using natural speech? Seriously?

Umm, no. I made an apples to apples comparison. I compared one type of search (search for song lyrics) with another type of search (search for weather conditions.)

So do you want some kind of law that prevents search engines from providing direct answers to users' queries?

For example if I send the query "2+2=" to Google you think it's "unfair" to manufacturers of calculators (of both software and hardware types) that Google provides me with the answer "4"?

If I query "calculate the volume of a cylinder", it is "unfair" of Google to provide me with the means to easily calculate the volume of a cylinder?

Whether you realize it or not, or even understand what it means, Google is rapidly progressing from being a "information engine" to a "knowledge engine".

If you don't like that, there's plenty of old school search engines you can use.

Who told you that life is fair?

LOL. Cry me a river. The sites that publish lyrics online didn't create those lyrics -- the lyrics are copyrighted works created/owned by others.

10. numlock macrumors 68000

never saw it on seinfeld, simpsons, law and order etc

but we arent discussing the act of searching but the act of displaying results and google handles weather and lyrics very differently which means this is an invalid comparison.

i never said anything of the kind. but you continue to evade my point which in my last post was a direct question. it is however worth looking into the immense power google has and whether that has a stifling effect. but hey lets just send 90% of the worldwide internet searching public a link to askjeeves

while i appreciate your thinly veined insult. i wonder how that will progress if they get broken up. and whether you understand it or not it isnt just about what search engine i can use but how people can find business and services (which could me or even you)

fair is subjective but most countries have some sort of anti trust laws (which again brings us back to the eu matter) but in this case i was painting a picture of how some markets are just becoming available to 3-4 companies and how i dont find that appealing and personally i think it wont bring us (consumers) better products.

i know which makes this probably one of the worst possible examples of me arguing my point but valid nonetheless.

11. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Maybe you should try expanding your horizons...

I have no idea what you think we're discussing, but I've been referring to the subject of search.

As well as the evolution of search...

[​IMG]

And the future of search...

[​IMG]

So what's your question?

Sounds like Neo-Luddism.

LOL. A small startup company is not going to be able to go head to head against a flag-ship product of a giant tech company like Microsoft, but a startup can innovate and create a new product/service and do quite nicely with it.

I'm actually trying to figure out what your point is.

12. numlock, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014

numlock macrumors 68000

ah but you dont know what the etc entails:). what do you suggest? i felt the last two star trek movies werent very good from what i saw.

that is a fine and worthwhile subject. why though reply to a post where i object to google promoting their own search results at the expense of others?

you can find it

yes thats right. in fact im still upset after reading an article about graphene in the telegraph recently. but enough of that please tell me how either of the sentences equate to neo luddism.

what flagship product are you thinking of because it affects my answer. accounting software like nero and local offerings competing with microsoft navision is one example, dropbox competing with foldershare and idisk (perhaps not flagship products), spotify (perhaps not small) with itunes, lyn and unbound with iphoto and pixelmator and pixlr (was acquired by autodesk 2011) with photoshop.

if you were confused then maybe you should have asked for clarification then instead of just replying with this very nice video.

13. na1577 macrumors 6502a

Anyway...

Back on topic, having lyrics in the search is really nice. Bing has had it for a little while now and it works well.

14. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I like it because a lot of websites don't format them correctly and so it makes it hard when I'm trying to copy and paste them into iTunes.

Is it going to eat into these websites? Well, they have all been coming and going over the years. It's a hard niche to survive in unless you have a purpose other than showing lyrics.

Google is limited to showing stuff that only they sell though, and there's a lot of music, mostly b-sides and unreleased demos that will probably never be sold ever or again.

15. eko91 macrumors regular

Brilliant!

I'm going to be using that often! Do you know when that will be available?

16. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

17. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

Great for searches, not so great for lyrics sites relying on such traffic.