Google Adds Media Content Links to Mobile Web and Google App Search Results

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 28, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Google is rolling out an update to its search engine for iOS users that aims to make it easier to discover media content like songs and movies online (via TechCrunch).

Whenever a Google search is performed for a piece of media, the new feature shows users icons for services that offer the content, such as iTunes, Hulu, Amazon Video, Google Play, YouTube, and Spotify.

[​IMG]

Clicking the new icons in the Knowledge Panel at the top of a search result takes the user straight to the associated service, where they can immediately start watching it or listening to it. Google will also display pricing information for the content on various services, where applicable.

Music searches will show links to streaming services like Apple Music and Pandora, but obviously there are restrictions on playback depending on whether users subscribe to the services in question.

The company says the new service links for iOS should start appearing on both the mobile web and Google Search app, which is a free download on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Adds Media Content Links to Mobile Web and Google App Search Results

2. whyamihere macrumors 6502

whyamihere

Glad this applies to Safari searches (not just their dedicated app). Searching for music is great, but my limited testing with TV shows and movies always result in them suggesting paid rental options, even when the media is available for free streaming on Hulu, Netflix, etc. So not a replacement for JustWatch or Yahoo Video Guide apps.

3. Keane16 macrumors 6502a

Keane16

I've been getting more and more annoyed with Google Search recently. The idea to have specific results at the top for all kinds of searches is great on paper and works well most of the time, especially for objective results (input a calculation and it displays the result at the top of the search list - great).

But other for more subjective queries times Google's AI just fails. Which makes the suggested answer plain wrong.

And now like you mention you might be able to get the the content for free on something you already subscribe to but the results aren't smart enough to know that so you potentially end up with useless buttons at the top of the results.

I also really dislike AMP results - I just want to go to the actual site.

I've tried in the past to go all in with Duck Duck Go but I've always switched back as I missed some of the features of Google Search. But I'll be giving it another whirl soon. Perhaps Bing too.