MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

android.jpg
Just hours after Apple announced plans to implement App Store revenue sharing changes that will see developers getting an 85/15 revenue split for subscriptions maintained for longer than a year, Re/code says Google is planning on implementing a similar change for Android.

According to unnamed sources, Google is going to implement the same 85/15 split, but unlike Apple, Google will make the new revenue sharing changes available without the one year requirement. It is not known when Google will roll out its revenue changes to all developers.
Now Google plans to up the ante at its app store: It will also move from a 70/30 split to 85/15 for subscriptions -- but instead of requiring developers to hook a subscriber for 12 months before offering the better split, it will make it available right away.

Sources said Google has already been testing the new split with some entertainment companies (so has Apple, to some extent). Google started running the new model over a year ago with video services as a way to get Play subscriptions to work with its TV streaming offerings like the Cast dongle.
Apple currently takes a 30 percent cut of subscription fees in the App Store with 70 percent going to developers, but that's changing with a new policy that will implement an 85/15 split if a customer stays subscribed to an app for more than one year.

For example, if a customer subscribes to Netflix through the App Store and pays $7.99 per month, for the first year, 30 percent of that amount goes to Apple. If a customer stays subscribed, at the start of the second year, Apple's share will drop to 15 percent, giving Netflix 85 percent.

In addition to a new revenue sharing model, Apple expanded App Store subscriptions to encompass all App Store categories, giving developers more options for selling their apps and earning revenue, and it introduced ads for App Store search results.

Article Link: Google Also Planning to Adopt 85/15 Subscription Revenue Split for Developers

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
Ok everyone is following.
*cough* subscription *cough*

No brainer.

Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Competition is great also for developers. Don't care if Google did this in response to Apple. Both companies can afford to take less revenue per app sold.

Reactions: iOSFangirl6001
Comment

v0lume4

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2012
Unlike some folks here, I wouldn't say that Google is copying Apple. Decisions like this aren't made overnight. I assume this is a revenue model that Google also has been working on for a while, but then felt compelled to announce today as a reaction to Apple.

Reactions: justafew and Stella
Comment

ethanwa79

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
Apple needs to match this and just make it 85/15 right away too. Developers are going to take a revenue hit by switching to subscriptions due to less upfront sales (I know, I'm a developer who's test subs before). So that extra 15% makes up for some of the loss. If Google is going to earn me more money, I might throw my resources there first.

Your move Apple.

Comment

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
Well, that was quick.

Is Google also going to halt Music sales as well and only use Google Play Music All-Access?

Comment

CaTOAGU

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
Apple needs to match this and just make it 85/15 right away too. Developers are going to take a revenue hit by switching to subscriptions due to less upfront sales (I know, I'm a developer who's test subs before). So that extra 15% makes up for some of the loss. If Google is going to earn me more money, I might throw my resources there first.

Your move Apple.

Would you make more from Google even with the higher split though, I was under the impression Apples App Store had higher overall sales, would this make up the difference?

Reactions: Xtremjeepn
Comment

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
I'm the biggest Apple fanboy (not really) so I'm not defending Google here but they're not copying anybody. These large companies know what the other is doing at all times. They both are testing similair programs/products/services at the same time.

Comment

vooke

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2014
The bigger picture is that competition is favoring developers. They will reap an extra 15%.

We need more competition

Comment

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Would you make more from Google even with the higher split though, I was under the impression Apples App Store had higher overall sales, would this make up the difference?

I believe that used to be the case yes, esp in early years, but I did read a few articles a little whilst back that suggested this was no longer the case. The sheer number of Android phones, which, worldwide dwarf Apple iPhone's gives Android devs a vastly larger potential customer base that's growing quickly all the time.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.