Google analytics is scary!

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
Anyways I help move a wiki for a site from one provider to another and they made me an admin of it (surprise surprise), anyways I set up google analytics for some site stats.

While It only averages about a 150 page views a day, the amount of data that google collects for me is scary cool and well just scary.

An example, lets look at the earth. The countries with high page views show up anywhere from tan (none or little) to dark brown (umm a lot more...) And you can drill down to state level and see various cities' page views. Then you can see the various isp's, how pages redirected to you, what most of your traffic is on say 53% safari on mac, 1% for safari on pc, 46% others (way more detailed I just didn't feel like posting)

Anyways I never really cared about it when I heard people say "Google will become the evil empire and know everything about everything!" until now. If they can collect this data on my small site, think about all the data they collect from all teh different Intertubes.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
MacRumours stats:

47% of visitors posted from home.
31% of visitors posted from an office building.
21% of visitors posted from a school or university.
1% of visitors posted from the toilet.

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
85% of MR has posted something about Powerbook G5's since Apple switched to Intel :p

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
^^ that's a good one. :)

15% of MacRumors interprets every news release indicating blockbuster sales or record profits for Apple as a sure sign that the company is being run into the ground and will be out of business within six months.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
On the whole, though, the original topic is pretty messed up. I didn't realize Google had that level of detail about what goes on at each site.

Morpheu5

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2007
Anyways I never really cared about it when I heard people say "Google will become the evil empire and know everything about everything!" until now. If they can collect this data on my small site, think about all the data they collect from all teh different Intertubes.
I wouldn't be so concerned about this as for now this Google Analytics thing is on a volunteer basis. It may become scary if Google said "you all small webmasters install our urchin code in your sites now or DIE!" but again I wouldn't be so scared as it can gather pretty much - or less - the same informations you can collect from the server's logs - though once Google collected 'em, you just can't rm the datas :)