Google Analytics not showing webdesigners visits.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Dal123, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

I just installed google analytics the other day and it's showing visits. A couple (myself viewing) yesterday and about 12 today (from others). Now what I don't understand is that when I view it and keep clicking it it's not registering as returning visitors. Despite there being a specific area for this 'returning visitors'.
    I was hoping to write an applescript that repeatedly loads my webpage but it looks like that is going to be a waste of time if this is the case:confused:.
    I'm getting a visit from a referring link 'chocolatepillow:2095' have tried searching for this but chocolate pillow is a hotel website. I don't understand what's going on here and why I can't view the link from google analytics.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Why would you write a script to cause visits? Are you trying to fraud the data? That's a waste of time as it won't help your page ranking or anything else. The data isn't always exact that you get from stats.

Google analytics depends on visitors having JavaScript enabled for instance, which not everyone does. The stats are more just a way to get ballpark numbers about what's going on with your site.

Also, since you keep returning to your page you're likely viewing it from cache so it doesn't count as a new visit or even necessarily a returning visit. Referrer information can be spoofed easily so don't bother too much with tracking it down as it won't mean much.