Google and Samsung Collaboration

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by mi7chy, Jan 4, 2017.

1. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

2. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

If the future Google Pixel was Samsung hardware with pure Google software, my head would explode.

Hard to imagine Samsung being cool with privately building Google's phones and removing Samsung branding though. But what if!

3. Tig Bitties macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

I would not hold your breath expecting the Pixel 2 to be a high-end flagship built by Samsung using their top tech. NO WAY.

4. mi7chy thread starter macrumors 68040

mi7chy

5. Tsepz macrumors 68000

Tsepz

This.

It would probably have to be called the Galaxy Pixel, much like the Galaxy Nexus.

6. epicrayban macrumors 603

epicrayban

It does beg the question, who will make the next Pixel for Google?

7. mi7chy thread starter macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Based on previous trends Google tend to go with major players so no fly by night surprises. If based on fair partner share Samsung is due next unless they decide to use HTC again. Motorola is already pretty much stock.

Nexus One (HTC)
    Nexus S (Samsung)
    Galaxy Nexus (Samsung)
    Nexus 4 (LG)
    Nexus 5 (LG)
    Nexus 6 (Motorola)
    Nexus 5X (LG)
    Nexus 6p (Huawei)
    Pixel (HTC)

8. epicrayban macrumors 603

epicrayban

I wouldn't rely on the Nexus OEM history to predict who's next for Pixel, but who knows.

I highly doubt Samsung.

9. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Do any of you remember this rumor from early 2016?

http://venturebeat.com/2016/03/14/did-google-and-htc-really-sign-a-3-year-nexus-deal/

(Just a random article that I picked out after Googling "google htc 3 year contract")

In hindsight, now that we have seen the Google Pixel, that rumor makes perfect sense. I wouldn't be surprised if HTC makes at least the next two Google Pixels, going through 2018. Granted, we don't know if a three year deal was ever signed. It's just a rumor. But in hindsight, that rumor makes a whole lot of sense seeing that HTC already is manufacturing the first Google Pixel.

And if any of you have followed rumors for the HTC Ocean -- perhaps the next Google Pixel could be loosely based on that?

10. epicrayban macrumors 603

epicrayban

This makes a lot of sense. HTC isn't a bad partner to have. Hopefully they figure out waterproof and wireless charging this year for the Pixel 2.