Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google is working on a standalone hardware device that will integrate the company's search and voice assistant technology, reports Recode.

According to sources, the product is said to be similar to Google's smart home enabled OnHub wireless router and is set to compete against the likes of Amazon's Echo.

20150818-google-onhub-router.0.jpg
OnHub wireless router (Image: Google)

Google declined to comment on the rumor, but the project, said to be known internally as 'Chirp', is expected to be officially announced at next week's Google I/O developer conference, where voice search and intelligent personal assistance are to take center stage alongside the company's latest forays into virtual reality.

In 2014, Google acquired connected device company Nest, which reportedly had its own designs for an Echo competitor running Google's search technology, but scrapped the plans because of concerns over consumer privacy.

After launching the Echo over a year ago, Amazon announced in March two new additions to its lineup of voice-controlled smart hubs that house the company's personal assistant, Alexa.

Article Link: Google Set to Announce Amazon Echo Rival, Codenamed 'Chirp'

Skittlescatsmeow

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2016

Google is working on a standalone hardware device that will integrate the company's search and voice assistant technology, reports Recode.

According to sources, the product is said to be similar to Google's smart home enabled OnHub wireless router and is set to compete against the likes of Amazon's Echo.

20150818-google-onhub-router.0.jpg

OnHub wireless router (Image: Google)

Google declined to comment on the rumor, but the project, said to be known internally as 'Chirp', is expected to be officially announced at next week's Google I/O developer conference, where voice search and intelligent personal assistance are to take center stage alongside the company's latest forays into virtual reality.

In 2014, Google acquired connected device company Nest, which reportedly had its own designs for an Echo competitor running Google's search technology, but scrapped the plans because of concerns over consumer privacy.

After launching the Echo over a year ago, Amazon announced in March two new additions to its lineup of voice-controlled smart hubs that house the company's personal assistant, Alexa.

Article Link: Google Set to Announce Amazon Echo Rival, Codenamed 'Chirp'
[doublepost=1463047587][/doublepost]I want this available in Canada please

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Really, their whole business model is setup to sell user information to advertisers.

Lol, right?
Can you imagine how much they'll be able to charge now?? *eek!*
"hey Google, I would like to advertise my product/service only to parties where the family has been talking over dinner about taking a vacation in the next 3 to 5 weeks to an island near where I'm selling my product/service".

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
I still don't see the appeal of these AI in a tube shaped speakers. My phone and watch already do this.
I don't buy into this either, but I guess the intent is to lay the foundation to eventually reach Jarvis-level one day. Just like the Apple Watch, it may be crappy now... But you have to start somewhere.

usamaah

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2008
Chicago
Can everyone stop the Google hate for a minute and see that Echo is getting a competitor, and remember that competition is good? Echo can be characterized as an Amazon.com purchasing assistant as much as Google can be accused of using their device to mine data, and if Apple were to ever make one they'd be accused of grossly overpricing their hardware since that's where they make their money.

I realize I'm on MacRumors but come on, don't you remember that Apple gave data to the NSA too?

Back to the project at hand, those who own an Echo absolutely love it, and it seems Amazon can't keep it in stock. You can't knock the device until you've actually given it a try. True it's not for everyone, but many people are finding it helpful to have around.

Microsoft had similar plans with their Xbox add on Kinect about having an always listening component. As someone mentioned earlier, we're moving to a place where there will be digital assistants like Jarvis (from Iron Man) that are waiting for your command. Google arguably has great access to information and more than decent voice search tech so it stands to reason that they would enter this domain.

Anyway, perhaps you think I'm naive but I highly doubt Google's listening to EVERYTHING, rather when you use the key search phrase, like say "OK Google" (similar to "Alexa"), it will record what you search for and use that to build its database for you. For example, if you search for "vacations to LA" then maybe the next time you're on your computer that's the advertising you'll see if you're logged into Google. And that does not bother me in the slightest because that's what happens right now when I search on Google, the difference is simply instead of typing that term into a computer I spoke it to Google. (Actually I can speak it to Google.com too, since it does have voice input on the search page).

Those searching with Duck Duck Go are of course not going to buy this.

Of course when Apple makes their almost-perfect version 1 that promises to never sell the data and uses Siri with some other search engine, you'll have your 3rd option. But it seems Apple won't jump in unless it sees a market, and by Google creating a competitor, that's actually what's happening.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
You: Hey Chirp, please provide all my personal details to every retail company on the planet.

Chirp: I'm sorry I didn't quite catch that.

You: I said plea-

Chirp: Just kidding. Spam imminent.

Lol, right?
Can you imagine how much they'll be able to charge now?? *eek!*
"hey Google, I would like to advertise my product/service only to parties where the family has been talking over dinner about taking a vacation in the next 3 to 5 weeks to an island near where I'm selling my product/service".

What a bunch of FUD. There should be a pinned thread on this forum that explains what Google does and doesn't do with data. Google does not "sell" your data to anyone. Just like Apple (iAds, iTunes, etc) - they provide an exchange for advertisers to target consumers with criteria. At no time does YOUR information get handed over to an advertiser. Nor is it personally identifiable.

Some people should really research what retargeting, remarketing, and other advertising techniques before putting on a tin foil hat of ignorance.

It's not just on here. Many of my friends who don't know any better think that Facebook (for example) is following them around and that's how/why they are seeing an Ad for a product they just viewed on Amazon. No. Facebook isn't following you in this instance. Amazon likely placed a cookie on your computer and then is buying advertising on Facebook and serving up a contextual ad based on whatever item you were just looking at.

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
In the future when Google becomes a govt contractor, officials (and hackers) will be able to spy on you with such ease...

Nest will know when you're at home and what you're doing (Nest cameras), these audio devices will hear everything you say. They'll know how a company is doing thanks to gmail and Google docs...

Google offer great services for free but users should know what they're exchanging though. Nothing is free.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
As a staff member, you know that's not true. As a fan of technology, you know that's not true. Not sure why you would put forth that FUD. Also as a staff member, aren't you guys held to a higher standard of truthfulness?

Doesn't like FUD to me.

Btw, I'm a moderator who volunteers my time, I'm not getting paid by MAcRumors and I have a right to my opinions ;)

Capto_Capture 2016-05-12_10-35-01_AM.png

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Doesn't like FUD to me.

Btw, I'm a moderator who volunteers my time, I'm not getting paid by MAcRumors and I have a right to my opinions ;)

View attachment 631049

I don't know why you posted that chart. It doesn't give any proof to your claim that " their whole business model is setup to sell user information to advertisers"

I don't think anyone is arguing that Google's main business model is advertising.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Doesn't like FUD to me.

View attachment 631049
Couple of things. I knew you to be a Mod, but you've changed your title to Staff Member. Yes, you do have a right to your opinions. I stated you know your original post to be both untrue and FUD. Your follow up post leads me to believe I was wrong in assuming you knew it was untrue. Apparently you don't. You said this:
Really, their whole business model is setup to sell user information to advertisers.
It's 100% untrue. The chart you provided? Yeah, it doesn't support what you said either. That chart shows Google's revenue is primarily ad generated. We all knew that. It does not show, nor is it an indicator of Google selling user information to advertisers. That's not me being pedantic. It just isn't true. Google does datamine. So does everyone else, including Apple. Google sells ad space to advertisers based on anonymized user data. Advertisers have no idea who you are or why their ad is placed on your screen.

If Google sold user information, they would be out of business. Why would Google sell their most valuable commodity? If advertisers have your information, they don't need Google.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.