Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2011
I know this thread is weeks-old, however I couldn't help but post this here, in order to remind the skeptics out there how things work (yes, they do exist and are that naïve):

e64b3fe969321ba0913b1430af7dbb2a.jpg

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I know this thread is weeks-old, however I couldn't help but post this here, in order to remind the skeptics out there how things work (yes, they do exist and are that naïve):

e64b3fe969321ba0913b1430af7dbb2a.jpg

What is that supposed to show us beyond the idea that Apple has put the absolute worst, fear mongering, warning about third party keyboards?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I don't follow you. Is that a lie then?

It's technically true that it's possible. But just because it's possible doesn't mean Google is doing it. If you want to know what Google is actually doing with GBoard, go read their policy. But that statement is there for everything from GBoard to Nintype. It's not a good message.

Privacy

We know the things you type on your phone are personal, so we’ve designed Gboard to keep your private information private.

What Gboard sends to Google:

• When you do a search, Gboard sends your query to Google’s web servers so Google can process your query and send you search results.
  • Gboard also sends anonymous statistics to Google to help us diagnose problems when the app crashes and to let us know which features are used most often.
What Gboard doesn’t send to Google:

• Everything else. Gboard will remember words you type to help you with spelling or to predict searches you might be interested in, but this data is stored only on your device. This data is not accessible by Google or by any apps other than Gboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.