Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
Today google updated their ios app to add push notifications for gmail and calendar.

I get badge numbers for the mail but no sounds. Anyone get email sounds?

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
kq80N.png

Just saw this screenshot. Check whether you're outside of the time range.

Sustainability

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
It would be better if the iPhone actually pushed the email from gmail accounts itself.

(Yes I know that was the least technical way of explaining it, but you get what I'm saying).

inspirations365

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2008
Is there a way to get push notifications or even badges from GMail (used as the exchange server or through the Google app) from mail in folders other than Inbox?

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
I just downloaded this app again because of Push. I wish you could actually check your Gmail within the app instead of opening Safari. Any word on if they're adding that?

knux11

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
this may be a dumb question, but why not just use it with the mail app? It has instant push email, and also syncs calendar and contacts, all updated instantly. Can someone please tell me what you gain by using this instead of what I said.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
this may be a dumb question, but why not just use it with the mail app? It has instant push email, and also syncs calendar and contacts, all updated instantly. Can someone please tell me what you gain by using this instead of what I said.

I can go hours without going to my home screen, because I use the task switcher so much. I thought I would gain popup notifications for new mail but that doesn't seem to be happening.

knux11

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
I can go hours without going to my home screen, because I use the task switcher so much. I thought I would gain popup notifications for new mail but that doesn't seem to be happening.

oh ok, just curious, wasn't trying to bash anyone.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008

You can setup your Gmail in the Mail app as Exchange and it will Push.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
are u looking for an onscreen notification? you do get the red number by the email icon. and the sound/vibration.

I have it on silent most of the time and I can easily miss messages if the phone's not in my hand. When I switched apps before 4.0 I'd see the mail bubble. But now I don't see the home screen as much and my Mail app is rarely on the first page (the four most recently used apps) of the switcher.

knux11

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
So.... You are looking for an onscreen notification?

I'm not understanding how else you'd want to be notified if you keep the sound off, miss the vibrate, and never go to your homescreen to see the new mail icon badge.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Yeah, I thought this update meant pop-up alerts for new mail. I don't know why it doesn't do it. It pushes badges to the app why not push alerts too.

And I still haven't had alert sounds work with the app yet (with silent off, obv.).

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Yeah it pushes but if I miss mail arriving I get no notification.

Well, if you're on a jailbroken iPhone, which i always suggest anyway, setup your Gmail as exchange and buy Lockinfo. Then you're always one click away from knowing if you have a new mail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.