Google Apps account with different username & email address confuses MCC preferences

Discussion in 'macOS' started by alkalifly, Aug 22, 2013.

1. alkalifly macrumors regular

alkalifly

My school recently switched to Google Apps for our email service. For years, my email address has been myname@myschool.edu but the Google Apps login is now myname@[B]g.[/B]myschool.edu (bold added to emphasize the difference)

The OS X Mail app itself is working fine: I enter myname@myschool.edu as the email address and myname@[B]g.[/B]myschool.edu as the User Name. But the Mail, Contacts, and Calendars preference pane is all screwy. There are now two entries for this account, one of which is for the email address myname@[B]g.[/B]myschool.edu which has Mail unchecked (because I don't use that as my actual email address), the other of which is for the email address myname@myschool.edu which has only Mail checked.

Having two entries is annoying, though not the end of the world, but when I click on the one that has my actual email address (without the g.) it tells me "Mail, Contacts, & Calendars preferences can't connect to the Google account..." and prompts me to enter the password, which of course doesn't take because it is trying to authenticate with my email address (without the g.), rather than my username (which has the g.)

Has anyone else run into this issue? It seems that it would be a problem in any situation where the Google user name is different from the email address.

2. OmarTred macrumors newbie

I would also like to prefer Google apps..They are really flabbergast by all means..It is favorable and convenient also..:)