Google Apps Email - Using Labels/Folders

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by That-Guy, Feb 23, 2015.

1. That-Guy macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

Right, finally got the Apple Mail app working correctly with my Google Apps Email account. When I delete an email it actually deletes it! Who would of thought.

Anyway at the same time I have setup Labels (Folders) in Gmail which work fine on the web and the Mail App. I can move messages from the Inbox and place into one of these folders.

The problem I have is on my iPhone and iPad. The messages show in the correct folders once they have been moved using Gmail or Apple Mail but they are also still visible in the inbox.

Anyone have experience with using Labels (folders) with iOS? I am guessing it may be because I have the email accounts setup as an exchange account on my iOS devices to enable push.

Thoughts, suggestions or ideas? :D

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I've still got a free Google Apps account and have a different iPhone these days so I haven't had it set up as Exchange on the iPhone for a while.

You may be right that it's a Google Apps/ActiveSync thing. Set up as IMAP it doesn't do that...the "Inbox" label removal is honored by iOS.

3. That-Guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

Yeah I was originally using the free version until I upgraded to the iPhone 5S and had no choice but to pay :D

I have also found another issue, I cannot create new folders from my iOS devices, I simply get a message saying they cannot be created.

I guess I will have to setup the email accounts using the normal Google method an just live without push email.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Another choice for IMAP Gmail push is to jailbreak and use the "Push for Gmail" tweak, which is what I've done. Any sort of forwarding to a second account to get push in the native Mail app isn't acceptable to me.

The IMAP setup definitely allows creation of folders.

Also, when I had mine set up as Exchange I didn't like the way contacts were handled.