Google Apps on iPhone- a few questions?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jason2811, Jun 28, 2010.

1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone. I'm considering switching from a Blackberry 8330 to either the new iPhone or an Android device. I had some questions though regarding Google Apps. I posted a similar question before but got no response so here's another try. I know these are no native apps for these apps so that is why I ask.

1) GMail-How well does the iPhone mail app handle GMail? Is it possible for the Mail app to search through all of my old email? For instance if I wanted to find an address from an email sent to me 7 months ago? Also, will the Mail app have access to all the email addresses in my GMail contacts? Also, is it possible to "archive"?

2) GChat/Google Talk- How do most people handle this? Do you use BeeJive? How reliable is BeeJive? If you don't use BeeJive, how reliable is the web-based GTalk client? I know it's on a website but is it possible to use it and to always be online and receive notifications? How are chats received through the web-based app?

Thanks!

2. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

HEy Jason,

I use most of googles app and I wish it would be a better way to do it in the iPhone. The mail.app is great, it will do pretty much any basic user would like to do, but you cannot sync your whole gmail (i had about 10GB of email from about 5 years).

The web client from google is great..but it is not native.

For gtalk works perfect on Beejive and Gtalk well...same deal as before web client is the only option (unless you jailbreak, then there are a couple of native options).

hope it help!

Your best bet is to go to an apple store and play with the phone, and the web apps to see how confortable you are with them.

4. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Mail app works fine. I have setup my Google Apps email using IMAP and it worked fine, and more recently switched to Google Sync (via Exchange setup) and it works great. Emails arrive instantly pushed. Threading still works. Delete archives instead of trashes. I've been happy with it.

You set the number of emails to sync, but it won't do all. (Nor would you want to).

When I have to find an old email, I just use the Google app which has a direct link to my Google Apps mail (which is really just the mobile web version, but it's quick and easy to get to). Searching on that or filtering, etc, is very fast for finding old stuff when needed.

As mentioned, you will need a 3rd party chat app to connect to Google Talk. IM+ and Beejive are too options. I've been using Beejive forever now and have never had a problem using my Google Apps Google Talk account. In fact, I also have my personal Gmail account setup in Beejive as well, so I can chat with my work buddies and personal buddies or turn one or the other to "away" or inactive or whatever. Pretty slick.

I came from the blackberry world (after about 5 generations of BBs) and haven't looked back. Loving the new iPhone4 now!

5. huskerchad macrumors regular

Contact sync works very well for me, as does calendar.

Mail is good, for recent and new messages. Searching isn't as great in the mail app--I often don't get results I know are there. In those cases I head to Safari for searches. Google has put a lot of effort into their mobile web and it's pretty good.

I use the exchange sync for google apps. You can also use imap--I don't know how well that works or whether searching is any better.

6. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Question about BeeJive and GChat-- I'm coming from a BlackBerry so I will be using GChat as a replacement for Blackberry Messenger. How reliable is GChat on BeeJive? On BBM if I someone sends me a message while I'm underground in the subway it will arrive when I get service again. Is it the same way with GChat on iPhone?

7. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can anyone answer my question about the reliability of BeeJive?

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I am not sure what you mean, but if you read the replays you can see that me and other have already said...beejive run perfectly with Gtalk

9. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

While I think BeeJive does a good job, the problem lies with iPhone 4 that it is unable to truly multitask. I've missed quite a few messages because Push notification doesn't come through. And because of the iOS's awkward notification system, it's hard to keep track of messages.

On the Android, you can run one (or several) IM clients in the background, just like the way it runs on your desktop. However, unlike BBM, I don't think you will get messages if you don't have internet connections.

In addition, there is a native Google Talk app and you won't need a third-party app to run it.

10. jace88 macrumors regular

jace88

I personally use eBuddy but am still yet to find a stable Gtalk client for iPhone4.

Sorry to bump an old thread but noone really responded regarding the native Gtalk app from Google. This web-based app is very reliable WHEN it's open but the moment you try to multitask, it has issues/signs you out/misses messages/etc.

Are there any other new apps which are considered more reliable/stable? I don't want anything fancy- just stability.