Google assistant on iphone and ipad

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by The Game 161, May 11, 2018.

1. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Got to admit I'm loving the experience considering I've used siri for so long. It really does blow it away with any task for the most part. Obviously it can't do alarms and open IOS apps but think it works very well for whats needed. Even gone out and got the google mini to use for my bedroom.

I think it is bound to be better on the pixel devices but generally I don't think i'm missing much at all using it on IOS. Glad apple have allowed as much access as it allows.

2. Regime2008 Suspended

Regime2008

Give it some time, and you will slowly be getting out of the walled garden. You'll start to see how much Apple has staggered by the way side when it comes to smarts and AI.

3. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors P6

The Game 161

Nah apple is still superior for everything else for my needs. The voice assistant game google are clearly on top.

4. Ralfi macrumors 68020

Ralfi

& maps.

If only we could say 'Ok Google' on IOS devices without the need to open Assistant...

5. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors P6

The Game 161

Yeah never trust apple maps. Will always use google maps.

Yeah it's a shame. I have the google assistant widget on so least i can scroll right when it's locked and go straight into it when i use face ID...quicker than opening the device then going into the app.

6. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

I’ve used Apple maps a few times and it actually worked but I dunno I just prefer google maps. Always use it.

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Just to digress, there is an auto body shop near me that I (unfortunately) had to go to a couple of times. Google maps cannot figure out how to get there correctly while Apple maps can. Thought that was interesting.

8. tbayrgs, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018

tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Yeah, I’ve had similar situations in the past as well. But to be fair, I’ve seen the opposite, ie Apple Maps tried to direct me through a gate to a community a wouldn’t be able to open. For the most part though, navigation using Apple Maps around my city is spot on and has worked surprisingly well via CarPlay.

The one area it falls short vs. Google Maps and Waze is not being able to map a route to multiple destinations.

9. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

Incidentally one of the few occiasons I have used Apple maps was when there were some road works on the route I wanted to take. Google maps could not no re-direct me but Apple maps were able to.

10. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

I listen to podcasts on my bike commute home and to work and using the Apple ear pods I can summon Siri and ask the time. Can this be done with GA?