Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Got to admit I'm loving the experience considering I've used siri for so long. It really does blow it away with any task for the most part. Obviously it can't do alarms and open IOS apps but think it works very well for whats needed. Even gone out and got the google mini to use for my bedroom.

I think it is bound to be better on the pixel devices but generally I don't think i'm missing much at all using it on IOS. Glad apple have allowed as much access as it allows.

Regime2008

Suspended
Oct 3, 2017
Basshead in ATL
Got to admit I'm loving the experience considering I've used siri for so long. It really does blow it away with any task for the most part. Obviously it can't do alarms and open IOS apps but think it works very well for whats needed. Even gone out and got the google mini to use for my bedroom.

I think it is bound to be better on the pixel devices but generally I don't think i'm missing much at all using it on IOS. Glad apple have allowed as much access as it allows.
Give it some time, and you will slowly be getting out of the walled garden. You'll start to see how much Apple has staggered by the way side when it comes to smarts and AI.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
& maps.

If only we could say 'Ok Google' on IOS devices without the need to open Assistant...
Yeah never trust apple maps. Will always use google maps.

Yeah it's a shame. I have the google assistant widget on so least i can scroll right when it's locked and go straight into it when i use face ID...quicker than opening the device then going into the app.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

Yeah it's a shame. I have the google assistant widget on so least i can scroll right when it's locked and go straight into it when i use face ID...quicker than opening the device then going into the app.
I’ve used Apple maps a few times and it actually worked but I dunno I just prefer google maps. Always use it.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Just to digress, there is an auto body shop near me that I (unfortunately) had to go to a couple of times. Google maps cannot figure out how to get there correctly while Apple maps can. Thought that was interesting.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Just to digress, there is an auto body shop near me that I (unfortunately) had to go to a couple of times. Google maps cannot figure out how to get there correctly while Apple maps can. Thought that was interesting.

Yeah, I’ve had similar situations in the past as well. But to be fair, I’ve seen the opposite, ie Apple Maps tried to direct me through a gate to a community a wouldn’t be able to open. For the most part though, navigation using Apple Maps around my city is spot on and has worked surprisingly well via CarPlay.

The one area it falls short vs. Google Maps and Waze is not being able to map a route to multiple destinations.

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Yeah, I’ve had similar situations in the past as well. But to be fair, I’ve seen the opposite as well. For the most part though, navigation using Apple Maps around my city is spot on and has worked surprisingly well via CarPlay.

The one area it falls short vs. Google Maps and Waze is not being able to map a route to multiple destinations.
Incidentally one of the few occiasons I have used Apple maps was when there were some road works on the route I wanted to take. Google maps could not no re-direct me but Apple maps were able to.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
I listen to podcasts on my bike commute home and to work and using the Apple ear pods I can summon Siri and ask the time. Can this be done with GA?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.