Google Authenticator and Touch ID

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by TyWahn, Oct 10, 2018.

1. TyWahn macrumors 6502

TyWahn

I was wondering how to enable Touch ID for Google Authenticator App. If you even can.
    I used to use LastPass Authenticator and it requires a finger print before it opens up and you get the code,
    Is there such a thing for Google's Authenticator? I have Googled it for 30 min and couldn't find an answer,
    Thanks for any help.
    Ty

2. jdogg836 macrumors 6502

jdogg836

Nope, there isn't. But if your phone is locked they can't get to the google authenticator without unlocking it. Maybe Google feels this is "good enough".

3. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

Security on an iOS device is based on access to the device and data as a whole and not for individual apps. It shouldn't be any other way.

4. Paco II macrumors 65816

Additionally, there is no real reason an authenticator app should need a password to access. That said, if you want that, why not just stick with Lp Auth?

5. jetsam macrumors 6502a

I use Authy instead of the Google Authenticator. It works anywhere the Google Authenticator does. You can use Touch ID with it. It also, optionally, has multi-site support, so I have the same 2FA tokens available on my iPhone, iPad, and Windows PC.

It's a free app.
    https://authy.com/

6. TyWahn thread starter macrumors 6502

TyWahn

It never came up as an option to use when asking for an Authenticator. :-(
    --- Post Merged, Oct 11, 2018 ---
    Is there a way to transfer all my sites to Authy from Google Authenticator?

7. jetsam macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, there is no way to get data out of the Google Authenticator - that is perhaps its greatest failing.