Google Automatically Creating Real Name Accounts??

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by APlotdevice, May 17, 2013.

1. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

While checking my inbox today I noticed a message telling me that a new gmail address had been created based on my actual name, and linked to my existing account. Now I am quite positive that I didn't create this account; other than for billing and shipping information, I have and will NEVER intentionally give out my real name online. So what on Earth is going on? Did Google just do this without even asking my permission? Has anyone else out there seen this happen to them?

2. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Poked around a bit and haven't found anyone else mentioning anything along these lines. However, someone is always first, no?

Can you post the body of the email?

3. APlotdevice thread starter macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Sure:
    As you can see, it's just a standard account creation reply.

4. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Very strange. Looks to me someone created a new Gmail account and put your account as the recovery. No idea why, email Google and see what they say about it.

5. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

You mean APlotdevice isn't your real name??? :confused: :D

I have no idea what your real name is and therefore if there are a lot of people who share the same or similar name.

I've had people with a similar name to me create a gmail account similar to mine and link it to my gmail address. I'm not sure why they would do this because it makes it easy for me to take over their new account. Laziness? A lack of understanding of how email accounts work? I don't know.

Maybe this is what's happening to you.