Google Blocking Google apps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gw0gvq, Oct 15, 2016.

1. gw0gvq Contributor

gw0gvq

I am trying to set up my Google Apps email in Apple Mail but can't. Every time I go to my Google Apps address on the internet I get this message :
    Google will continue to block sign-in attempts from this app because it has known security problems or is out of date. You can find out how to change your settings to allow access to less secure apps, but this may leave your account vulnerable.

I wonder if anyone has had any success in setting a Google App email account in Apple Mail? and how they did it. I notice I didn't get asked for any PORT numbers neither so where are they entered

2. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

You setup gmail accounts in the internet accounts area of the system preferences app.
    Then you should find it works as well as can be expected for apple Mail.

If you want to do it no hassle, then either use chrome, or thunderbird. Either chrome or firebird will work flawlessly. (Which unfortunately can't be said about apple Mail.)

3. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

I'm sure plenty of people have successfully done this. The question isn't whether someone succeeds, but with which version of OS X they succeed. What version of OS X are you using?

4. vbctv macrumors 6502

vbctv

If you're using an older version of OSX say before Yosemite, it is likely that the Mail app may not use newer APIs or technology that Gmail or Google Apps require. This actually has happened to me with my Kindle Fire HDX 7 before the last update where it would not allow me to add my Google Apps accounts because of security problems and an update fixed the issue, however I doubt Apple will update older versions of their OSX software beyond Yosemite.

5. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

Typically that doesn't matter, as Apple Mail has been buggy up to OS X 10.x.3 on every OS X / macOS since Lion, so I would advise to not bother with Apple Mail for anything that requires reliable email.
    Thunderbird has been rock solid for at least 15 years, and it is free and open source, plus it does work well regardless of what particular point version OS X/ macOS you have.

6. vbctv macrumors 6502

vbctv

On macOS Sierra I have more issues with third-party emails than I do Apple Mail personally. Apple Mail seems to work perfect. But that has alot to do with all this new stuff they put in Sierra that devs still have to work around.

7. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

It always seems to work perfect for a while, then bugs out on minor things is the track record.
    I simply can't count on Apple Mail working reliably, I've given it too many chances already, and I will not waste my time on it anymore. If I could delete it for being a waste of space, I would.

8. gw0gvq thread starter Contributor

gw0gvq

Its Apple Mail I think, because I got Airmail a third party app zand it works on there I did get an error message at one time that mac isnt secure enough I nee to add 2 step verification . And that was from google. But other third prty emails seem to be ok. PS I'm running macOS Sierra.