Google blocks UK viewers from You Tube starting tonight

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Poncho, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

Google started to block British viewers from watching premium music videos from tonight. Says it will take several days until all professional music videos are covered by the restriction. Had a look round but I guess my fave videos (Skeletal Family anyone?) are still viewable. Oh, er, yes, forgot, that's because I live in Mozambique (cough).

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0309/breaking70.htm

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Once again the music industry don't see free advertising when it hits them in the face, bloody morons. Someone should fire all the music industry execs and hire a complete new set of staff, one that's actually forward thinking, and not dragging their heels at every possible opportunity.

It's pathetic, for a long time now, the music industry has acted like a little spoilt brat, screaming and shouting when things don't go it's way, this will only hurt the music industry...

3. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

Free advertising is a good thing, however in this case, picture how many people are probably downloading the videos from Youtube and then not buying them...

4. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

It seems it is not the record companies that are asking for more money, it is the composers. Which one of you is against actual artists getting paid? :)

5. Poncho thread starter macrumors 6502

Poncho

Well, I am a member of PRS, as a paid musician from royalties.

Do I defend the status quo, which in all honesty is to defend the rights of the lazy and non creative or do I recognise that times have changed, technology has advanced, and now the means of distribution are at last in the hands of the workers (musicians) and not the record companies?

Away with copyright I say! Musicians will still pick up a guitar and make music and the truly creative will strive into the future to create a music that will take advantage of the new business models arriving.

6. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Chances are, if the person knows how to do that, then they also know how to use Limewire or BitTorrent. YouTube quality isn't all that great, and when you consider the fact that Limewire is easier and can have better quality, most people won't extract it from YouTube.

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

its called a proxy server.

Ultrasurf is great.

suck on that Google.

8. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

where do people who aren't itunes junkies buy music videos?

9. william sire macrumors regular

william sire

I don't know about that one. I have been recording the sound files off videos so I don't have to pay for the music for years now. It's makes a much better sound file than the files sharing sites do.

10. MotleyPete macrumors regular

The music industry is in free fall. It's awesome!

11. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Why?! It's 79p/99c from iTunes, how cheap do you have to be to rip Youtube songs...

12. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

Yeah true good point.

Unless this is an attempt at blocking BitTorrent? Albiet a very slow and small step?

13. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

14. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Are they trying to encourage piracy? I, personally would never pirate, but I know this will force many others to. :(

15. Nuttydev macrumors 6502

This is stupid :/ My IP address seems to register as an american one for some reason though so it's still alright for me.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The way kids these days "have to have" every song ever performed (witness large HD's being filled-up) I would not say cheap. Just greedy.

17. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

All my music is under a creative commons license, I can see CC licenses & independent labels taking over major labels, major labels do not equal success.

Everyone should see Dig!, documentary about the Dandy Warhols & Brian Jonestown Massacre, there's a good line where Dandys get signed up to capitol records, and the success they were promised, doesn't materialised.

18. Pixellated macrumors 65816

I think it is still up. Well, I just watched an MCR video and it went fine...

19. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

my music is too.
    and ya, getting signed to a bit label isn't the goal/key. Thousands of bands who are signed aren't profitable.

20. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Can't they just admit that it can't be stopped??? The artists, composers & company execs may not like it, but there will always be a way around the regulations they impose.

21. faust macrumors regular

faust

22. garybUK Guest

garybUK

LOL because this isn't going to make people pirate and download through bittorrent is it? hahaha they are SO STUPID this will just make more people pirate...

23. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I was wondering if artists even made videos anymore. whenever i turn on mtv (very rarely), it seems like there are just 'reality' shows playing...

24. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

That's because MTV made the (right) decision to move away from being a music video only based channel some time ago, they're now a entertainment channel, although reality TV is hardly entertainment, but you get what I'm saying.

I so didn't have to do an essay on them in college :p