Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google yesterday announced that it has added the ability for iPhone users to utilize the device's built-in GPS to set their location as part of the customization of the Google homepage. Setting their location allows users to receive search results specifically tailored for their location.

As of today, when you visit http://www.google.com from Safari on your iPhone 3.0, you can choose to turn on My Location by tapping on the link on the homepage. When you tap on the "update" link, your location will be updated and displayed right there on the homepage. Whenever you want to refresh your location, just tap the "update" link. Testing this in New York, my search for "jazz clubs" returned a handful of places within walking distance. I picked one, tapped the phone number, made a reservation, and we were set for the night.

Search with My Location is available in English for the US and UK at the moment, with additional countries and languages planned for deployment in the near future.

Article Link: Google Brings "Search With My Location" to Safari on iPhone 3.0

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
it recognizes my correct location until i search then after the search it shows results from a different place

patrickvanzandt

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
U.S.A.
Who cares?

:confused:

I do.

Although the Google Maps app is nice, for quick phone book searches I often times Google my query in Safari on iPhone. This means typing something like
"Starbucks Cambridge, MA"
or
"Pizza Lexington, MA"

If I can instead just type the "Starbucks" or "Pizza" and let it pick up my location automatically, I think this is great!

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
i dont see how this benefits us...

The example above says "search for Pizza" and google knows your location, but isn't that the same as searching on google maps, and then you get a much better idea of where things are, you can still view the company's website, and other details.

I cant see any reason to search with a location as specific as is collected.

soundsgoodtome

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Los Angeles
I do.

Although the Google Maps app is nice, for quick phone book searches I often times Google my query in Safari on iPhone. This means typing something like
"Starbucks Cambridge, MA"
or
"Pizza Lexington, MA"

If I can instead just type the "Starbucks" or "Pizza" and let it pick up my location automatically, I think this is great!

If that's how you do it, you clearly don't know how the Maps app works. :)

Instructions: Open Maps, tap the Location button (if the app isn't already centered on your location), type "Starbucks," and hit enter. (No need to ever type your city and state.)

So, if you know how to properly do that, then just like mygoldens, you don't really care about this update to google's web site -- unless you prefer seeing your search results as a text, instead of on a map. (Then again, you can do that in Maps, too.) :)

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007

Instructions: Open Maps, tap the Location button (if the app isn't already centered on your location), type "Starbucks," and hit enter.

So, if you know how to properly do that, then just like mygoldens, you don't really care about this update to google's web site -- unless you prefer seeing your search results as a text, instead of on a map. (Then again, you can do that in Maps, too.) :)

Or, go the app store and get CoffeeFinder (free app) which uses your location and it'll find the starbucks for you. So many ways to find a caffeine fix ;)

nehunte

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2009

Instructions: Open Maps, tap the Location button (if the app isn't already centered on your location), type "Starbucks," and hit enter.

Yes, you can do that in google maps, but google maps doesn't have everything. Sometimes you have to refer to google in safari to find things you are looking for.

leandromp

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
Is not working correctly a the moment. It said that I'm in PA! That's like 4 hours away from where I am!!! :|

soundsgoodtome

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Los Angeles
Or, go the app store and get CoffeeFinder (free app) which uses your location and it'll find the starbucks for you. So many ways to find a caffeine fix ;)

I'm sure you know this, but "Starbucks" was just an example. We could also have used "pizza" or "sushi" or whatever. The point was that on the iPhone it's easier to find goods or services in Maps than on google.com. :)

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Who cares?

:confused:

Why are you in the iPhone forum posting about how nobody cares about a new feature that Google added specifically for iPhone when you don't even own an iPhone (according to your sig)?

Moving on, i.wund.com (Weather Underground) added location services to their app right after 3.0 dropped. It's nice to have it bring up the weather for my current location without having to type it in. Whatever eliminates extra steps to get me through my day is fine by me. I'm busy enough as it is.

Isn't Snow Leopard supposed to have location services? I thought I read somewhere that this will also tie into Safari using wifi to locate you. Weren't there also rumors that future Apple computers would have GPS chips in them?

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
Just used Google to find a blacksmith as we want some garden gates made up. It gave me a list of local blacksmiths and their phone numbers, doing the same in Maps would have resulted in the same results but I would have to click on the pins to get the numbers. Much easer using Safari if you don't want to go there yourself, and only want to call a local one, which is what the feature was added for I suppose.

swrdfghtr

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2008
How is Google doing this? Is there some HTML/JavaScript that iPhone Safari exposes that Google is tapping into? Can other Web pages utilize Location?

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
Neat idea, but I hope it's easy to turn on and off. I might be in one city but wanting to search for something in another city. Or maybe, I just want general info and don't want it tied to any specific city. I could be in New York and wanting to Google for Apple's corporate office or customer service phone number, but all Google will show is the New York Apple stores. So, I hope it's easy to turn on and off. As I've stated before, I think the GPS location services on/off should be a physical switch, like the vibrate switch.

Does the Google App also use the GPS now?

Stargaze

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2008
definately interesting

how about just adding Proper PUSH notification for Gmail

lets get that turned on then get back to the other interesting ideas!

paul100

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2009
Its happy to hear that now you can know you the place you want to know on your iphone using google itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.