Google buys Nik Software

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by r.harris1, Sep 17, 2012.

1. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I really wish Apple would have made this move instead... and incorporated the tools directly into Aperture.

It's hard to predict what this means for the future of Nik plugins as they in no way support Google's core businesses. We could find they EOL the whole lot tomorrow... or make them free for all! Who knows?!

2. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

This is terrible news for Nik software users. Can you imagine a Google-developed Capture NX 3? :(

3. r.harris1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

r.harris1

If Google is buying strictly for snapseed, then the professional plugins will likely suffer. But if google sees this as more strategic than just a quick hit against Facebook, and sees this as a way of bringing in photographers and other visual media folks, it could potentially be a win as they will pour money into development. But. I'm skeptical :)

4. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

Nik's professional tools team is going to wind up reporting to the Picasa team (if they aren't already).

5. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

And I was just getting used to loving Dfine and Silver EFEX Pro :(

6. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

The phone apps are already horrible. If anything, google-guided development will be a blessing.

7. carlgo macrumors 68000

I wished this too, but perhaps they really have no interest in putting more than a maintenance effort into Aperture.

8. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

"Horrible"?!?

What are you talking about?

Nik only made one iOS app, Snapseed, and it was the 2011 iPad App of the Year.

:shakeshead:

9. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

It was my understanding that Nik were behind Nikon's remote control app that's used with the D3200 (and now the D600 with its wireless dongle). The app is pretty kludgy, to say the least. I have nothing but good things to say about Nik's plugins, but that app was really a missed opportunity. Please let me know if I'm mistaken, I don't want to be on the wrong page. :)

10. sananda macrumors 68020

I'm pretty sceptical too and worry about the future of Silver Efex Pro.