Google Buzz and Privacy concerns

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by *LTD*, Feb 13, 2010.

1. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Question:

Does turning off Google Buzz where it says "turn off Buzz" (near the bottom of the Gmail page) turn the service off completely and block all contacts/hide followers, etc., that is, render everything as it was before Google Buzz? Or is there something else I have to do as well?

I find Google's implementation of this service pretty infuriating, and I'm not the only one:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/13/technology/internet/13google.html?hpw

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/12/AR2010021201490.html

I think Gruber nailed it today:

Google Buzz a Privacy Disaster
    Seems like a terrible mistake to glom a public broadcasting feature onto a private email system.

Daring Fireball 10-02-13 12:33 AM John Gruber http://daringfireball.net/

2. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Don't worry, Google has implemented an easy way to opt out of their services completely. :)

I agree with your assessment of the situation, by the way...This may help (or not).

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

That was great.... wooohhhhoo what do you mean I have to get into your van???? LOL

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Buzz is no better or worse than facebook or any other social networking system.

5. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Have you used it or do you use any other social networking systems?

6. macfan881 macrumors 68020

This whole privacy issue thing with buzz really started my second guessing on looking forward to Chrome OS but with the stuff that has happened I probably wont touch Chrome Os with a 10ft pole

7. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Google Buzz? What the heck is that? I guess I need to do some googling!! :cool:

8. *LTD* thread starter macrumors G4

*LTD*

Thanks for the tips, folks!

This Google Buzz is a complete nuisance (at least the way Google implemented it, which is more than a little disturbing.)

9. djellison macrumors 68020

Is it? Really? Because I'm not finding it any sort of nuisance at all...

BECAUSE I'M NOT USING IT.

Given that your opinion of Google is to place them alongside Hitler and Satan, quite why you would have any interest in any of their products, I don't know.

10. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

They screwed up with the launch of Buzz - simple as that. I don't know why you are trying to discredit the OP's opinion here. The problem is exactly how Google pushed this product on Gmail users and enabled certain privacy breaching features by default.

11. djellison macrumors 68020

The OP copy and pastes any negative IT story about Microsoft, Google or any other firm out there. He clearly has a massive problem with google.

Thus - it would only be logical to assume he wouldn't date use any google services based on his persistent, consistent and exhaustive tirade against google.

So the problem I have is... why does he give a damn about Buzz. Why's it even entered his life at all?

12. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

If he uses Gmail he had Buzz enabled automatically.

13. *LTD* thread starter macrumors G4

*LTD*

I have a Gmail account. Plenty of people have them. Ergo, Buzz entered my life. Which is why I asked for a way to turn it off completely, after reading that simply clicking "turn off Buzz" near the bottom of the Gmail page wasn't enough.

I'm wondering, is the egg on your face scrambled or over-easy?

14. djellison macrumors 68020

How do you live with yourself? Why would you do something against your religion?

15. *LTD* thread starter macrumors G4

*LTD*

It's only e-mail.

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

17. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

You and me both.

18. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Who cares how many people Google shared my Buzz with automatically from my contacts ? Those people are never getting an update from me anyhow since I don't use social networking services.

By definition, social networking services are invasions of privacy.

19. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

So what? That makes it all the same? Invasion of privacy is not a digital YES/NO indicator, instead there are many different levels of that. People let others invade their privacy all the time in the real world. The trick is, that you should remain in control and be able to very specifically decide how much of your private data you're willing to expose at what time to whom.

20. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

You are. Before you use the a social networking service for the first time and post up any info on there, I'd make damn sure to check the list of people that would receive such info.

There is no privacy at all on social networking services, it's rather funny that people expect some.

21. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Once again: The problem is how Google pushed this on (Gmail) users and then enabled privacy breaching features by default (e.g. automatically sharing your email contacts).That's pretty much the definition of not being in control.

It is certainly possible to implement social networking services that respect your privacy.

22. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Read the article again. They did not share your email contacts, they shared your Buzz updates to your frequent chat contacts. You are in control. I looked at buzz, saw it's just another twitter/facebook POS, a few of my contacts were "subscribed" by default to the empty info that was there. I clicked disable.

None of my info was shared to anyone.

Exhibing your life on the Internet, even if there are security measures is very counter to privacy. Heck, just telling one of your friends about something in your life just means you've breached your own privacy. If you don't want people to know what you do, don't tell them, no matter the medium.

23. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

I bet you know a little more about how social networking sites work than most people and could instantly recognize it as such, which is why you clicked 'disable' . The ordinary person might not, especially if something like this pops up next to their email-inbox.

Then we disagree about the definition of 'privacy'.
    I would go with the one posted on Wikipedia: 'Privacy is the ability of an individual or group to seclude themselves or information about themselves and thereby reveal themselves selectively'.

Privacy differs from anonymity.

24. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

As soon as you give anyone any information about yourself, you've just lost the ability to seclude that information selectively. Why ? Because even your closest friends and family can and do open their big mouths.

You can't have any expectation of privacy once you have told anything to anyone. At all.