Google Calendar and GMail to Mail & Calendar (in Mavericks)-easy move?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Azzin, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Azzin macrumors 601

Azzin

Hi all,

I currently have 2 x Google Apps accounts (from when they were free for organisations with under 30 users or whatever it was).

I use the GMail webmail interface for email (using 2 seperate tabs in Google Chrome) and a seperate tab for the web calendar on my primary (personal) email account.

Now, I'm thinking of switching calendars to use Calendar on my 2012 MBP and also the built in Mail client for my email, to keep things simple and so I can have an actual local calendar/mail client, as opposed to web ones.

Now, I should add that my Wife also has her email etc hosted on Google Apps and whenever we stick anything on our respective calendars, we always invite the other person, so we always know what's going on (although she uses MS Outlook).

I presume I could still do that if I switched to the Mac Calendar?

I've just upgraded to Mavericks too.

Cheers for any input. :)

2. Azzin thread starter macrumors 601

Azzin

*Uber bump!* :D

So, I never got round tho this, but having seen some of the stuff that Yosemite will bring, I really want to get this done.

If it helps, I have IMAP access to my Google Apps email (and used to use it in Outlook 2011).

I can't really remember why I moved from Outlook to Webmail, but I'm thinking that I'd like to have everything in one ecosphere so to speak.

So I'd like to achieve the following:

• Use Mail.app as my primary email program for my 3 Google Apps email addresses.
    • Use Calendar.app as my primary calendar app.
    • Be able to invite and accept calendar entries from my Wife (who's also on Google Apps). She uses a mixture of Outlook 2007 and iOS for calendar invitations.

I think the only thing I'd miss about using Google's own web calendar, is the abilty to have reminders sent by SMS, but as long as I can get similar pop up reminders on my iPhone/iPad I'm happy with that.

Anything else I haven't factored in?