Google Calendar doesn't sync in the background?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Wolfpup, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Has anyone gotten Google Calendar to actually sync in the background?

Unlike iCloud and Outlook/Hotmail, Google doesn't seem to support push, which I'd think would be useful for the calendar. Even when I have it set to fetch it doesn't seem to actually do it, even though it's giving me email all the time on the same account. (I don't actually WANT it checking my email except when I load the email program, but I do want the calendar syncing if possible.)

Weirdly I keep getting my Gmail syncing over cellular, even though I explicitly have THAT shut off.

Soooo I don't know, it's buggy or I'm missing something.

I sort of think I should move my Calendar to Outlook or iCloud, just for the presumably better calendar syncing lol

I should have mentioned I'm running an iPhone 5s with iOS 7, but I see this on my iPad 2, and saw it under iOS 6 and I think 5 as well.

2. predation macrumors 6502a

caldav for calendar
    carddav for contacts
    gmail app for gmail.

i've been using my gmail applications like that and they seem to sync fine in the background.

3. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Regarding caldav, some of the things I read today mentioned that, but it looks like the "Gmail" automatic settings in iOS 4+ are already doing caldav, and Google doesn't list the settings anymore?

4. bransoj macrumors 6502a

When Google turned off their support for Exchange a while back i moved my contacts and calendar to use the CardDav and CalDav functionality only to find recently these only support Fetch and it was a bit sketchy at that so i've gone back to everything via Exchange and had no issues at all with things pushing as far as i can tell.

5. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

You mean like a separate Exchange account of some time? Or using Google's services by Exchange?

Google Calendar's kind of buggy for me anyway, so I wouldn't mind trying Apple or Microsoft's services, though I don't know if they're any better!

6. bransoj macrumors 6502a

When you add the account to the phone you choose Exchange Server from the options but then enter details for google. This then creates this on the phone and you can turn off or on what you want to sync so i have Mail, Calendar and Contacts turned on and they sync fine via push.

The problem is that Google stopped supporting new devices back in January i think it was. Devices already set up can still be used though so i can still use it.

7. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Oooh I see, thanks! I know I've had iOS devices set up that way, but not for a while. This is on an iPhone 5s, so definitely a new device! :-D

I guess I should play with Outlook.com and iCloud...

8. predation macrumors 6502a

really?? i haven't had issues with syncing... i delete off phone, it deletes off gmail... i delete off gmail it deletes off phone. adding is the same way too...

this is the method i used.

9. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Had no issues at all with email through GMail set up as Exchange which always stays as push and syncs round my phone, iPad and web based without an issue almost instantly. I followed instructions from Google themselves to set up CalDav and CardDav and it was ok to start with, then it appeared to only let me use Fetch with those two so had to set it as every 15mins and on occasion it seemed a bit hit and miss. Seeing as i can still use Exchange i thought i may as well stick with it and have everything on Push.