Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gray67

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2008
Apologies in advance if this is a completely uninformed question...why not just interface directly with Google Calender, Google contacts, etc directly through the iPhone Safari browser? The only answer I can think of is that you are limited to working when you have cellular or WiFi service. Any other reasons? Thanks.

Google mail and calendar direct you to an iphone optimized version of their sites. I've never used the iphone version of gmail but I can say that if it's anything like iphone gcal, it won't be very useful. gcal optimized for iphone doesn't allow you to enter events, and you get very limited browsing capability. no month view.

iphone's calendar app, limited as it is, is much better for navigating around dates.

and the iphone's mail app is pretty good. I have it syncing with my gmail and yahoo accounts (via imap fetch) and I like its functionality. if only iphone calendar would allow (a) syncing to gcal and (b) color-coded calendars, everything would be great.

and don't even get me started about gmail's craptastic contact management. I actually turned off nuevasync's contact sync because I don't want dozens of suggested contacts polluting my iphone and google in their infinite wisdom doesn't provide a method to filter those out.

treschny

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2008
It seems like the neuvasync.com site has gone down - I had just signed up and was configuring my calendar info when it stopped responding completely.

Are these growing pains or something else?

gray67

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2008
maybe i'll finally go that way. haven't really needed to jailbreak it yet.

nuevasync has a blog that they update regularly indicating current status. I wish apple and AT&T had something similar.

as of this morning, I saw a post that indicated their server crashed last night. apparently there is an OS issue that they are having difficulty resolving, and that it is not their software that is at fault. they are working to fix the issue.

treschny

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2008
where is their blog? i'd love to start syncing my calendar ota, but do you users here feel this is ready for prime time?

gray67

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2008
where is their blog? i'd love to start syncing my calendar ota, but do you users here feel this is ready for prime time?

there's a link to their blog off of their homepage.

http://nuevasync.blogspot.com/

I don't think they're ready for primetime, but it's a free service that is the only option right now if you don't want mobileme, don't have exchange, don't use outlook, and don't want to install a ton of stuff on your PC to get and equivalent service. And did I mention it's free?

In their defense, they were apparently swamped when the 3G came out and people discovered their service. They're apparently trying to ramp up as fast as possible and it's kind of like changing tires at 75mph. I think they'll work out the kinks in a month or two and the service will be much more stable. But until the service stabilizes, it's use-at-your-own-risk.

drfarkos

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2008
I simply use Spanning Sync + iTunes

That keeps all my adress book and calendars on laptop, iPhone and Google synced and up-to-date.
Very simple and natively stable.

As for the price, first year subscription for SpanningSync is $25, next year is 15.

You can also save $5 by entering discount code.
E.g. this one: FNFMBV

baritony

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2008
Found this from their website and it solved my problem for now.

"Just a quick update, but following information provided by diligent users, we have some lines of investigation which we are pursuing on the freezing issue which can sometimes occur with iPhones or iPods running the new 2.1 firmware. We've also managed to reproduce this ourselves on a test device, and are working on a consistent reproduction case to nail it down.

If you encounter this problem, please do e-mail support with the subject 'iPhone Freezing Returned'. We've had a number of users send in reports, but more information is always good. Please include some details about--as best you can recall--the last operations you were performing before the freeze. That information is especially helpful. Things like, were you adding an entry, changing one, or not changing anything? If you were changing one, was there anything unique about the entry? We may not respond individually to each e-mail, but we are studying them.

And our thanks again to all the users who have sent us information. Thank you!"

tinfai

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
Due to this thread, I've become aware of Neuvasync and now have my google calendar all synced up to my iPhone. As another poster has written, the iPhone-customized calendar site is really short on features. Not having a monthly view severely compromised its utility. Neuvasync solves all that. Thanks for the service.

cbrom

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2008
Nuevasync syncing...

For those who are also using Nuevasync - from the time that you enter an event onto your Google calendar, how long does it take for the data to show up on your Iphone calendar? Do you have it set to fetch or push? Also, if set to manual, how do you manually "fetch" the data? Thanks in advance.

treschny

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2008
mine's set to push

My phone is set to push, and it shows new events about 2 seconds after I go to that day's view. i like it a lot. i just made a paypal donation to them yesterday....

Samuelson

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2008
My phone is set to push, and it shows new events about 2 seconds after I go to that day's view. i like it a lot. i just made a paypal donation to them yesterday....
My question is, if you can manage various google calenders, without having to set up new account of google in ical. Like it is in apple calDav on Leopard Server???
Thank you.

chanatown

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2008
Give http://plaxo.com a quick look. Its free...

I use it to sync my work (Windows MS Outlook) contacts and calendar to my home Macs, but it can be used to sync with many different services.

For reference, my setup seems a little different than yours, but it works well with both Macs/PCs and Google:

Plaxo syncs contacts and work calendar from my work machine running Windows/Outlook to "main" Mac's iCal/Contacts at home.

Plaxo syncs contacts with all Mac's at home.

Spanning Sync ($25/year) syncs all home mac calendars using Google Calendar.

End result is work PC, all Mac's, and Google calendar are all sync'd. I could use Plaxo for everything, but I wanted my work-home sync setup with different rules than how my home machines were sync'd.

I second this post, and I just wrote a quick post that references two other pages that easily describe how to sync multiple google calendars to Outlook (using Plaxo) and then to assign the colored calendars on your iPhone. Hope this helps!

http://chanatown.wordpress.com/2008...ltiple-calendars-on-the-iphone-in-five-color/

halesvb11

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
just outside Chicago
Nuevasync is killer.

Figured I'd bump this since the ical caldav gcal madness was officially annoucned yesterday.

Just configured my phone. Took all of 5 minutes. Have my work outlook syncing with gcal, now going to Iphone. I'm not that busy at work, but at least it's nice to know what's going on.

You guys rule. Seriously.

Soccernutt10

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2008
Changes

Question if I make a change to my iPhone calendar will it sync to my google calendar?
Do I have to make all changes to my google calendar and then have them synced?

I have a 3G and my wife has a blackberry and I have been doing as others have using google to sync with outlook 2003 then to iTunes for me and google sync for the blackberry for her.

If only google would allow a sync system like they do for the blackberry for the iPhone.

dboreham

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2008
Question if I make a change to my iPhone calendar will it sync to my google calendar?
Do I have to make all changes to my google calendar and then have them synced?
Yes changes made on your iPhone will sync to Google. Sync is two-way. Change stuff on either end at will, and it'll sync to the other place.
I have a 3G and my wife has a blackberry and I have been doing as others have using google to sync with outlook 2003 then to iTunes for me and google sync for the blackberry for her.

If only google would allow a sync system like they do for the blackberry for the iPhone.
Google doesn't provide this but Nuevasync does (also GMail contacts can be synced).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.