Google calendar/iphone problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macnews, Aug 7, 2008.

1. macnews macrumors 6502a

macnews

here is my setup:

using: google calendar, iphone 3g latest software and ical w/caldav.

I have ical setup to sync with my google calendar via caldav. I have gone in to iTunes and setup my iPhone to sync with my iCal (tried syncing all calendars and just my google calendar). When I sync, I can see my calendars on my iphone but if I try to add an event on my iPhone the event gets added to some generic calendar if I'm only syncing on google calendar or my main ical calendar if syncing all calendars. For the life of me I can not get it to add to my google calendar from my iPhone.

I know there is a "calendar" button when adding events on the iPhone but I can't select my google calendar from there. I only have two calendars setup in iCal - personal one and my caldav google calendar.

What am I doing wrong?

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

nothing, the iPhone does not support calendar sync as you want it to
    you will need to use something like Spanning sync afaik

3. macnews thread starter macrumors 6502a

macnews

you kidding?

I sure hope you are kidding or wrong. This completely sucks and makes no sense at all.

Is there any work around? I was thinking if I had my google calendar sync'd on my phone so I could at least see my schedule, then if I added new events on another calendar which would sync to ical, could I then subscribe/ical/caldav that in with my google calendar so when I go back to my computer I can see it?

If not, my only hope is Google would somehow find a solution or apple gets off their tight a@* and fix it themselves, especially given the mobile me fiasco.

4. rufhausen macrumors regular

You should try out nuevasync (nuevasync.com) (free). It creates an exchange connection between the iphone and google calendar. In conjunction with google caldav support, you get round trip, OTA syncing.

iCal <-> caldav <-> google calendar <-> nuevasync <-> iphone

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

ohhh i like nuevasync now :)
    all it needs to do is support gmail mail and it would be perfect

6. rufhausen macrumors regular

I think that's coming. It already supports contacts, but that's overkill for me - and scares me a little.

My question is when will they start charging for this service and how much will cost?

7. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Just set this up, works beautifully with Thunderbird/Lightning/Google Calendar.

Entered an event on my PC in Thunderbird, checked my iPhone and it was instantly there.

Bravo and thanks for the tip on Nuevasync.com!

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You just hit the nail on the head. From a business standpoint, Apple has limited motivation to partner with Google for any sophisticated 2-way syn capabilities. Apple has MobileMe, which not only does it, but does it without a cable sync, over the air. And Google is developing a competing phone platform anyway. And with third party connectors already existing, why would Apple be arsed to develop one on their own? There's nothing to "fix" as far as they're concerned.

Also, the MobileMe fiasco is dead and buried. No sense in bringing it up now.

9. lukas111 macrumors newbie

google calendar problem...

iphone 3G 16mb, firmware 2.1, google calendar, nuevasync.com account

hi, i have a problem with syncing...sometimes i need to restart iphone because it freeze...i cannot delete account in settings, i cannot change settings for exchange server account...evevrytime i need to restart....do you have any idea?

Lukas