Google calendar to iCAL -- Made the switch?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GIZBUG, Jul 25, 2012.

1. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

Any users on here make the switch from using google calendar to ical?

I currently use gmail, gmail contacts, and google calendar. Debating on making the switch over to ical for all this. Any users on here care to share their experiences? Also, is anything ical accessible on a windows machine?

2. ShiftClick macrumors regular

ShiftClick

I made the switch to iCal from Google calendar.

Very happy with the choice, I prefer the interface and I'm never sitting there for google calander's "working" or "updating"

Its easy to get other peoples google calendars into iCal with the link in google, so I didn't have any issues on the sharing aspect either.

Never use a windows machine so can't say...

3. rainydays macrumors 6502a

Never been a big fan of google calendar. I used it at my previous job, but I mostly used it as a server and iCalendar as a client.
    I have to say that I mostly use Producteev as my calendar these days though. Not that it actually is a calendar in a traditional sense, but it does what I mostly use a calendar for.

4. GIZBUG thread starter macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

If I've been using google calendar, how do I get all my stuff from my calendar, into ical/cloud? Is there an import?

5. ShiftClick macrumors regular

ShiftClick

Going to assume you know to select on iCal your icloud calendars

In google, select the calendar go to its settings, at the bottom is calendar address click the little ical green button and the address you need for iCal is there copy and past and then add to ical. Bit cumbersome if you have a ton of calendars but once its done its done. If its a calendar someone else updates it will all go into iCal.

6. GIZBUG thread starter macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

Thanks. Ill give that a shot. Have many switched from using google calendar to ical+icloud? of the many tech reviews and articles i haven't seen much in the way of a comparison of using Google Calendar vs iCal and iCloud, or what, if any, compatibility issues there are. I've been a google calendar user for years now, but I'm reading that some people are experiencing issues with their gCal and iCloud, like double appointments/events and such.

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

you can add google calendars to ical. It even updates automatically.

8. WDSXFIRE macrumors newbie

I highly suggest that you try a app called BusyCal.