Google Cardboard for iPhone - anyone tried it yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jsameds, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Jsameds macrumors 68030

I have a google cardboard on order from Amazon which should be arriving Monday, and an iPhone 5 to try it on.

Just wondered if anyone has tried it already and if you have any tips/recommendations?

2. SeilerBird macrumors regular

SeilerBird

I bought one about six months ago and I will less than overwhelmed.

3. Jsameds thread starter macrumors 68030

As far as I'm aware it was only 3rd party support previously but now there's official iOS support.

Have you tried the new Cardboard app? It was only released a couple of weeks ago.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-cardboard/id987962261?mt=8

4. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I've been playing with Cardboard on my 6 Plus using the Unity engine and it's a ton of fun!

There are also some neat demos out there--hard to wade through the bad ones, but most are free. There's a good one about flying through a brain, but I forget the name.

Google's own demos are so-so, ironically. The cave is the best.

5. willentrekin macrumors member

The Star Wars app has some awesome Cardboard-compatible VR in it.

6. SeilerBird macrumors regular

SeilerBird

7. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

I got a free one from Verizon a while ago. My kids and I have played around with it- there are some ok apps. Its nothing my extremely awesome, but it is fun, and at least it's different.

8. redman042 macrumors 68020

I have one for my 6s Plus. The 1080p display on the Plus helps with clarity, but there's still a lot of screen door effect. It's neat, and Cardboard is cheap enough that little is lost if you get bored with it. It's pretty rare that I use it these days. I'd be more into it if there were no screen door effect. It's the one and only benefit I can see to Samsung's 4k phone displays.

9. G-Ziss macrumors regular

10. beernut macrumors 6502

let's say you were viewing something like this regularly on your phone:
    [​IMG]

Viewing through cardboard viewer, the image is magnified so it appears like this:

[​IMG]