Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viskon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
I just got my Google Cardboard kit in the mail. It took a while to put together, mainly because it came with no instructions , but I'm amazed by what a $3 contraption made of cardboard can do.

Google's cardboard app on the Play Store really showcases what Virtual Reality can be as the technology develops.

I would highly recommend anyone interested in virtual reality to give Cardboard a try.

It worked fine with my Galaxy Nexus, S3, S4 and Note 3.

https://cardboard.withgoogle.com

And a YouTube video by our friend Lou, thankfully not bending it.

http://youtu.be/SxAj2lyX4oU

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Still waiting for mine to arrive, hopefully should be here next week.

Must say, really looking forward to giving it a go.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
what does this actually do besides putting your phone right up to your face?

The idea is that it splits the screen so that your left and right eyes will have two different views so your field of view will appear wider. It also removes any peripheral distractions, thus immersing you in whatever you're viewing.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The idea is that it splits the screen so that your left and right eyes will have two different views so your field of view will appear wider. It also removes any peripheral distractions, thus immersing you in whatever you're viewing.

Thanks for that explanation.

viskon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
How's the image quality? With cheap 1-element lenses, there must be a lot of chromatic aberration?

Keeping in mind that this is the first time I've ever tried something like this out, and so I have no baseline to compare against , I am pretty happy with how it works. I am sure that there is some distortion due to the lens, but at no point have I felt any hindrance to my experience. . There are some VR apps that I tried that made me feel that I was really "into" it.
My favorite right now is the YouTube app where all the videos seem to be hovering in the air all around me. And watching the video is like being in a movie theater.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
How's the image quality? With cheap 1-element lenses, there must be a lot of chromatic aberration?

It's kind of unbelievable, but image quality is pretty darn good. I'm very impressed by the cardboard project. I hooked my N3 to it and also used a PS3 controller to play some of the demos they had. The only issue was you couldn't customize the controls to strafe. They had one demo of a space game where you had to avoid some black blobs, I was surprised that such a simplistic game could scare the crap out of me so badly.

I can NOT wait for the Samsung VR to come out. Paired with my Note 4 and a PS3 controller it will be an awesome experience.

viskon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
It's kind of unbelievable, but image quality is pretty darn good. I'm very impressed by the cardboard project. I hooked my N3 to it and also used a PS3 controller to play some of the demos they had. The only issue was you couldn't customize the controls to strafe. They had one demo of a space game where you had to avoid some black blobs, I was surprised that such a simplistic game could scare the crap out of me so badly.

I can NOT wait for the Samsung VR to come out. Paired with my Note 4 and a PS3 controller it will be an awesome experience.

I tried the spaceship game too (Refugio 3d space station ?). It is an unsettling experience for sure.

swy05

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2008
Ive always had a problem with 3d/vr. Watching 3d movies in theaters would make me nauseous for the first 20 minutes or so. It would get better after that.

Got cardboard and downloaded the rollercoaster app. After 5 minutes i felt nauseous so i had to lie down in bed.

Im wondering if Oculus/morpheus/samsung vr addresses this or if ill never be able to truly enjoy vr.

keryse

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2014
Google Cardboard and Junaio

I am currently doing a research project with my professor in Augmented Reality and NFC. I have recently purchased a Google Cardboard and am trying to figure out if Junaio application can incorporate into Google Cardboard application so that we can use Google Cardboard to view Junaio activities. Your professional advice regarding how to incorporate those two applications together will be valuable. Hope to hear from you soon!Thank you!

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I've had Hasbro's My3D for a few years and they offered free 3D immersive titles. Only their proprietary offset (between left and right images) prevented it from being a universal 3D viewer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.