Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renzatic

Suspended
I know I can't personally enjoy a product without demonizing the CEO of the other guy's stuff.

Android is a stolen product. Google literally mugged Steve Jobs outside a coffee shop to get their hands on it. Then they reverse engineered it, copied it, sold it, and kicked an orphan for fun.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
The idea to produce a touch screen interface for smartphones that didn't suck like all previous attempts had. Android was a Blackberry style OS for hardware keypad phones when Google bought it. When the mole saw what Apple was doing, he took some ideas back to Google. As a result, Android changed direction.

That was Steve's version of events, and I'm inclined to believe him over the mole.

I do believe there were touch screen phones BEFORE the iPhone... LG Prada, anyone, anyone?

Ah well, people seem to think Apple invented everything. :rolleyes:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Was it any good? No? I didn't think so.

Don't confuse innovation with invention.

What about the Sony Ericsson P800, P900 ? HTC's P3300 ? HP iPAQ rw6818 ?

Was everything just "Bad" before the iPhone ? Of course not. You can't compare phones that came before with the iPhone, not at the rate technology progresses. But looking at those other models, for the time they were sold in, they were pretty good.

Was the iPhone a good phone ? Sure. Does everything else that came before and after suck ? Of course not.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
And people think Steve Jobs didn't make mistakes...

How was it a mistake ? A lot of Apple projects at the time needed Google's participation. What would the first iPhone have been without Google Maps, Youtube, Google Search, etc.. Apple and Google were best of buddies back then (and the forums were a much nicer place to be without all the "Google Hate").

And what about Arthur D. Levinson, ex director of Google Inc (2004-2009), now chairman of the board for Apple ( 2011- present )?

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Is that what I said? Maybe you should take the time to find the right person to argue against?

Indirectly, yes.

Sorry, but youre flat out wrong. Apple may have put out a good touch screen phone, but it did nothing for revolution. Its an evolutionary process.

I'd argue that Apple stole ideas, Steve Jobs even claimed during his keynote that they invented multitouch... taking credit for someone else's work.

You need to hop off the Apple bandwagon.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
How was it a mistake ? A lot of Apple projects at the time needed Google's participation. What would the first iPhone have been without Google Maps, Youtube, Google Search, etc.. Apple and Google were best of buddies back then...

You don't need to put someone on your board to collaborate with them. That is a tactical mistake, and was made because Steve thought Eric Schmidt was a friend. See? Steve made mistakes? Who knew?

(and the forums were a much nicer place to be without all the "Google Hate").

Oh, that's rich! The chief MR Google apologist calling out "Google Hate". Stirring it up in every Google-related thread on Mac rumors! Elsewhere that behavior is referred to as trolling. But the controversy generates page views, so arn and company tolerate it, I guess.

And what about Arthur D. Levinson, ex director of Google Inc (2004-2009), now chairman of the board for Apple ( 2011- present )?

Levinson is dead weight outside the biotech sector, a "safe" figurehead. He's really a Genentech guy, and would probably be happier writing scientific papers. IIRC, he left Google's board right on the heels of Eric Schmidt being asked to resign from the Apple board. Picking sides in the divorce, as it were. (Freaky how he looks like Schmidt's twin.)

Really, if you want to go there, William V. Campbell is probably worse. But he was Steve's personal friend. See a pattern? Lots of mistakes...

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Indirectly, yes.

Sorry, but youre flat out wrong. Apple may have put out a good touch screen phone, but it did nothing for revolution. Its an evolutionary process.

I really don't have time for this, I won't do the strawman with you, but do me a favor. Go look up all the words you so freely bandy about in a dictionary. See if you can define the differences between invention and innovation. Also, revolutionary vs. evolutionary. (Grammar and spelling count.)

I'd argue that Apple stole ideas, Steve Jobs even claimed during his keynote that they invented multitouch... taking credit for someone else's work.

Ah, yes, back to the talking points. Do you have the updated copy? Are you one of those who get to play on forums during your 20% recess time?

You need to hop off the Apple bandwagon.

I'm not on the Apple bandwagon. I do tend to criticize what appears to be a complete lack of ethics out of the Googleplex. (I don't particularly care for Facebook either.)

Last edited:

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Can someone tell me why this guy is such a piece of ****? I'm trying to find out why but all I can see is just he has some harsh feelings towards how apple treated Google which is a bit childish maybe but justified I guess

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Oh, that's rich! The chief MR Google apologist calling out "Google Hate". Stirring it up in every Google-related thread on Mac rumors! Elsewhere that behavior is referred to as trolling. But the controversy generates page views, so arn and company tolerate it, I guess.

Sorry, calling people "Apologists" is an ad hominem and just a way to try to anger them into responding. That's the very definition of trolling.

If you really want to try to discuss with me, you'll have to show respect and stop insulting me. You don't know me at all. I'm really tired of getting pigeonholed into this big "Apple hater" in threads where I have to dispell FUD about the competition and a "Apple fanboy" in threads where I'm sitting there, defending some Apple choices I happen to think are good.

I'm not some black and white entity and because I disagree with you does not make me an opponent or an opposing entity to you. So drop the insults and show respect and maybe people will do the same.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Sorry, calling people "Apologists" is an ad hominem and just a way to try to anger them into responding. That's the very definition of trolling.

And yet you enter every thread in an attempt to defend Google's "honor". I don't know why you feel the need to. But there is some animosity on your part, given that you trotted out the "Google Hate" term -- again. Not everyone is going to see Google, or Schmidt, in the same light that you do. It happens.

If you really want to try to discuss with me, you'll have to show respect and stop insulting me. You don't know me at all. I'm really tired of getting pigeonholed into this big "Apple hater" in threads where I have to dispell FUD about the competition and a "Apple fanboy" in threads where I'm sitting there, defending some Apple choices I happen to think are good.

I'm not some black and white entity and because I disagree with you does not make me an opponent or an opposing entity to you. So drop the insults and show respect and maybe people will do the same.
You won't read it, but I have lots of criticisms of Apple, especially when it comes to their board. What part of that wasn't a respectful, factual discussion?

That it's not necessary to have the CEO of a potential competitor on your board, privy to your most closely held products and trade secrets?

That Levinson is probably a "safe" choice for chairman but he's far from a home run?

That Levinson left Google hot on the heels of Schmidt's departure from Apple?

That Campbell was and is a poor choice for the Apple board because, as chairmen of Intuit, he oversees possibly the worst native OSX product on the commercial market in Quicken for Mac?

FWIW, my other chief criticism of Apple is they way they have locked out certain telecomm vendors from the iPhone/iPad, a shortcoming that Apple has apparently rectified this morning (if news reports are accurate).

Last edited:

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Why are we picking sides on this doesn't it seem a bit stupid? This is evil mega corporation thats only wants your money vs. evil mega corporation thats only wants your money. These aren't people and they are not your friends, you wouldn't want Schmidt or Jobs at your dinner table nor would you want either to date your daughter. The fact that either can cause harsh words to be spoken amongst people that don't know each other doesn't speak well for humans.

This is like the Samsung v. Apple threads neither are your friend neither is going to "win" nor is either "right". Multibillion dollar Apple suing multibillion dollar Samsung isn't stiffing innovation it's defining patient and trademark laws through the courts.

You guy's make Stallman look completely rational and normal heck you make me look completely rational and normal.

Folks need to pop their heads out of their fourth point of contact...

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
And yet you enter every thread in an attempt to defend Google's "honor". I don't know why you feel the need to. But there is some animosity on your part, given that you trotted out the "Google Hate" term -- again. Not everyone is going to see Google, or Schmidt, in the same light that you do. It happens.

I don't want everyone to see Google, or Schmidt in the same light I do, I do however expect people to stick to facts and opinions, not trumpet falsehoods and lies. Notice that in "every thread" you accuse me of defending Google's "honor", I'm not actually defending Google, or Samsung, or heck Apple (in those threads people spread FUD About Apple), I'm defending one thing :

The truth. Facts. Dispelling fiction and myth.

"Eric stole from Apple by using is position on the board!". Fiction.
"Google is guilty of theft from Apple". Fiction.
"Android is a stolen product!". Fiction.

"Samsung was found guilty of infringing a pinch to zoom patent". Fact.
"Samsung was found guilty of infringing a design patent for certain phones". Fact.

Not real hard. So please don't insult me and pigeonhole me if you can't recognize the simple nature of my posts : Facts, with sources, links and supporting material to boot.

----------

Why are we picking sides on this doesn't it seem a bit stupid? This is evil mega corporation thats only wants your money vs. evil mega corporation thats only wants your money. These aren't people and they are not your friends, you wouldn't want Schmidt or Jobs at your dinner table nor would you want either to date your daughter. The fact that either can cause harsh words to be spoken amongst people that don't know each other doesn't speak well for humans.

This is like the Samsung v. Apple threads neither are your friend neither is going to "win" nor is either "right". Multibillion dollar Apple suing multibillion dollar Samsung isn't stiffing innovation it's defining patient and trademark laws through the courts.

You guy's make Stallman look completely rational and normal heck you make me look completely rational and normal.

Folks need to pop their heads out of their fourth point of contact...

I agree with you, no need to pick a side at all. But really, no need to invent myths and FUD and spread it as if it were true either. And when people correct you and post links to facts that support the truth, no need to insult them and call them "Apple haters".

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I don't want everyone to see Google, or Schmidt in the same light I do, I do however expect people to stick to facts and opinions, not trumpet falsehoods and lies. Notice that in "every thread" you accuse me of defending Google's "honor", I'm not actually defending Google, or Samsung, or heck Apple (in those threads people spread FUD About Apple), I'm defending one thing :

The truth. Facts. Dispelling fiction and myth.

"Eric stole from Apple by using is position on the board!". Fiction.
"Google is guilty of theft from Apple". Fiction.
"Android is a stolen product!". Fiction.

"Samsung was found guilty of infringing a pinch to zoom patent". Fact.
"Samsung was found guilty of infringing a design patent for certain phones". Fact.

Not real hard. So please don't insult me and pigeonhole me if you can't recognize the simple nature of my posts : Facts, with sources, links and supporting material to boot.

----------

I agree with you, no need to pick a side at all. But really, no need to invent myths and FUD and spread it as if it were true either. And when people correct you and post links to facts that support the truth, no need to insult them and call them "Apple haters".

There is no call for FUD and there is no call GOOG love.

Google scares the ***** out of me Apple less so but if you combine that with my immediate sympathy with anything open source where does that leave you/me?

Google like MS tends to provide benefit for humanity through blue sky research but Apple takes geek stuff and makes it approachable, which is better?

My general opinion is to use either as far as you con trust them and go no further.

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2009
I can't believe the amount of bias and propaganda being pushed around on both sides of the iOS/Apple vs Android/Google fight. Not only between the two companies, but between people on this very forum.

Instead of fighting over what was "stolen" or infringed - or whatever the **** you guys are nitpicking.

Can we all just accept that Android was influenced by iOS, and iOS was influenced by Android. And that both iOS and Android were influenced by prior inventions/ideas?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Can we all just accept that Android was influenced by iOS, and iOS was influenced by Android. And that both iOS and Android were influenced by prior inventions/ideas?

The same position me and kdarling and many others have been pushing for several years on this forum ? Sure, we can agree, it's just there's a crowd here that doesn't want to admit that "Built on the shoulders of giants" is the way innovation works.

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2009
The same position me and kdarling and many others have been pushing for several years on this forum ? Sure, we can agree, it's just there's a crowd here that doesn't want to admit that "Built on the shoulders of giants" is the way innovation works.

I would hardly agree that it is the position that you and Kdarling have been pushing for several years. While some of your points are valid, others are not or are extremely biased. I'm not sure if its because you expect most people on these forums are Apple fanboys or biased so you try to prove your point more drastically, or if you yourself are an Android/Google fanboy.

Either way, you discredit Apple and never have anything good to say about it. Is Apple the angel that everyone and news companies make them out to be? No, of course not, they have done their fair share of things.

But I'm not going to sit here as pro-Android fanboys try to claim that Android OS was not heavily lifted from iOS. The iPhone was revolutionary despite what anyone else says, it has forever changed the mobile landscape.

I'm not saying that what Google did was copying or stealing as some others have suggested. Nor am I saying that they should be punished for it. I just don't want Android fanboys to think that Google is 100% innocent and Android OS had NOTHING to do with iOS...

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I would hardly agree that it is the position that you and Kdarling have been pushing for several years. While some of your points are valid, others are not or are extremely biased. I'm not sure if its because you expect most people on these forums are Apple fanboys or biased so you try to prove your point more drastically, or if you yourself are an Android/Google fanboy.

Either way, you discredit Apple and never have anything good to say about it. Is Apple the angel that everyone and news companies make them out to be? No, of course not, they have done their fair share of things.

But I'm not going to sit here as pro-Android fanboys try to claim that Android OS was not heavily lifted from iOS. The iPhone was revolutionary despite what anyone else says, it has forever changed the mobile landscape.

I'm not saying that what Google did was copying or stealing as some others have suggested. Nor am I saying that they should be punished for it. I just don't want Android fanboys to think that Google is 100% innocent and Android OS had NOTHING to do with iOS...

I'm not here to tilt windmills or be a savior but have you ever really read Knights posts outside of the front page??

Knight's a geek he thinks acts and talks like one nothing more nothing less.

Last edited:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I'm not sure if its because you expect most people on these forums are Apple fanboys or biased so you try to prove your point more drastically, or if you yourself are an Android/Google fanboy.

How could I be an Android fanboy if I've never owned a single Android device in my life ? :confused:

BTW, you used the word lifted (yes, I did read your entire post). That has quite the negative connotation to it. Android is very different on an architectural level from iOS on many, many points, it's hardly lifted. Some of the UI paradigms are shared, but then again, a lot of those come from desktop computers or just plain common sense, so it's highly debatable where Google got the inspiration for them.

That is why I try to not get in these opinionated discussions. Let's stick to the protected IP, patents/trademarks, and discuss court rulings/decisions on those rather than get into the realm of discussing things Apple/Google/Samsung/HTC/Motorola/Microsoft aren't even mud slinging at each other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.