Google Chat and my Mac Pro 17" Laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gotchatlc, Aug 21, 2011.

1. gotchatlc macrumors newbie

Hi,

I installed google chat/cam.

I can hear the other party.
    I can see the other party.
    They can hear me.
    They can see me.
    I however cannot hear them.

Upon going into Settings and SOUND I noticed the output volume being muted. Would this have been the reason I wasn't able to hear people? When muted I plugged in headphones and couldn't hear any "static/friction." When I unmuted and plugged in my headphones I could hear the cord being inserted into the computer -"static/friction."

I went into Google and made sure everything was set up properly on that end. I did the check. I could see myself. The computer was hearing me and I could hear the test sound I had to click on.

What else could I be missing?

I'm asking because I'm not exactlyl sure what the OUTPUT SOUND is. What is it for? I mean it makes sense - sound going out but that confuses me because people can obviously hear me (sound going out).

Thank you for any advice.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes. Output sound refers to your computer's output - output which you then hear.

3. gotchatlc thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that and I still cannot hear the other party, whether it be with earphones or not.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Maybe they don't have a microphone on their computer, or maybe it is muted on their end.

5. gotchatlc thread starter macrumors newbie

All is well on their end. They can talk to others with no issues. It's my laptop. I have done all the checks I need to. I don't know what else to do. I have seen on google where others are having the same issue as me. Any other suggestions? Thanks for the prior suggestions.

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

Had the issue on win pc long ago. I just reinstalled the google chat plugin and it worked. Try that if you haven't already. I hate how it lags my Safari though... iChat is the way to go if both parties are on Mac.