Google Chrome and rMBP 2014 heat issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nexus4life, Aug 26, 2014.

1. nexus4life macrumors regular

Does anyone have a 2014 rMBP and notice what I do - serious heat issues when using Chrome and watching videos, yet watching the same videos in Safari results in a silent computer again?

2. c0LdFire macrumors regular

Yes - Chrome is an inefficient hog on OS X and pegs the CPU whenever it's doing anything even remotely intensive - especially watching videos. You're far better off if you get used to using Safari. Your battery life will thank you.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Chrome is the worst browser ever made for OS X. It's a massive resource hog.

Use Safari and your Mac will thank you. In fact, try to stick back to everything Apple, including software like iLife and iWork, for the best user experience.

4. nexus4life thread starter macrumors regular

I love Google stuff though. Plus, they even use MacBooks for their keynotes; you'd think they'd give a little more attention to the issues it has.

It's going to be tough to switch to Safari but I really like how my legs aren't going to get x degree burns when I use Safari.

Thanks for the replies :)

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I avoid anything Google, because it's in cahoots with the NSA in everything it does.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think in the long run you'll be better off with Safari over Chrome, given issues Chrome has with Macs

7. chibamac macrumors 6502

chibamac

Agreed, Chrome is a resource hog but sometimes a necessary evil.
    The popup / Add blocker I use only works properly on chrome. Even though they have it available on safari it won't work right.

Chiba

8. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

And Apple isn't? Face it, the NSA is monitoring your data pretty much no matter what you do. Even here in Canada our data is still going through American lines and will be monitored.

It's the internet, there is no privacy. Always assume this and you will have no issues.

9. Cibike macrumors member

Cibike

I really like google and some of their services, but definitely not a blind fan. But I do like gmail, also using google dns instead of dns provided by my ISP. But never was very into andorid stuff at all.. or google+, or their cloud stuff. But I like fast and somehow "light feel" of using chrome. I used to have it on my previous macbooks over the safari mostly because of integrated flash and option to make all flash **** be able only when you click on it. But I found that battery drain is pretty significant over safari and I always found that is one of biggest power drainer in my machine. So now I'm using safari and can't complain about that.. but also kind want chrome back as I find it is perfect for my needs.

10. nexus4life thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm noticing things like this. I can easily achieve no ads on youtube on chrome, but not the case with Safari.

Also, kind of hard to stop using Google products in general considering my phone is a Nexus 5 and I love it (except the battery life ... ugh)

Guess I'll just have to find a way to get used to it. Has it always been like this with Chrome on OS X? Or just go downhill at some point? (Guess why I'm asking is because I'm wondering what the odds are of the issues getting resolved or if they won't even bother with it since Windows/android generates most of their ad revenue, which is what they're after)

11. chibamac macrumors 6502

chibamac

Yup.. The extension I use is called "Add Block". Perhaps there is a better one to use in conjunction with Safari but I'm not aware of any.

Perhaps this would be a good subject for a new thread..

Chiba

12. psik macrumors 6502

Because apple isn't? Apple is, don't kid yourself for one second, apple good google evil..that's straight bs in my opinion

13. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

The delusion is real.

14. eezacque Guest

Your MBP is also likely to last longer if you manage to keep its temperature down...

15. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Even if Google wasn't collaborating with the NSA, it's still more evil, because:

1. They copied the original concept of iOS.
    2. They still invade your privacy by reading your email and browsing history to target ads at you.

16. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Chrome is poorly optimized for mac. I would suggest that you just use Safari.

17. psik macrumors 6502

I hope you stop using all their products and services then, including their search engine, and not just their browser, as a principle.

18. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Tbh, I don't even use Google Search at all.

I use DuckDuckGo or Bing, my browser is either Safari or Firefox and my email is Eclipso.ch (a Swiss based company) and iCloud.

19. psik macrumors 6502

Awesome! Thank you for sharing ;)

Cheers

20. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

That's the most ignorant comment i've heard all week. Google is evil? They copied the original concept of iOS? What kind of madness is this lol?

The fact is, the majority of activity on the internet is not private, a risk users of the internet take. Yes, Google may know a lot about your browsing habits, but so does the majority of ISPs, your mobile network provider and government agencies amongst many others.

21. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

This means installing Adobe flash which some would like too avoid.

----------

...and this happens worldwide.

22. Angriff macrumors member

Installing Flash isn't a big deal as long as you also install ClickToFlash or ClickToPlugin. Then all flash is disabled unless you click it to load it. It lets you browse flash sites without dealing with excessive wasted resources on stupid flash stuff you don't want.