Google Chrome and the non-bouncing dock icon.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Chundles, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

How did they do this?

The Mac version of Chrome is bloody quick and pretty basic at the moment but the one thing I notice is that it's the only app not to bounce while it's opening. On a repeat launch it's too quick to need to bounce but on the first launch when it takes a while to open the icon just sits there.

Is this just a simple programming thing or have they done something weird?

No real deeper explanation required, just wondering is all.

2. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

I would just assume that something in the code is (possibly unintentionally) causing that behavior. It doesn't actually start faster than the fastest Mac application I could think of (a "Hello World" Cocoa app :D), so something's suppressing The Bounce.

EDIT: I just downloaded it for a look see, and I'm impressed at how far it is. It won't be replacing Stainless anytime soon, but it's cool nonetheless.

3. str1f3 macrumors 68000

For me it's incredibly fast to startup especially after you start up the program once after logging in. I don't what they're doing but it is impressive. I can't wait to see Safari under Snow Leopard to see how the performance of these two browsers compare. IMO they are the best two browsers right now.

4. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

Oh, yes, it's fast, I wasn't trying to say otherwise. My point was that it wasn't so fast as to warrant no bounce. I might be kind of spoiled because it's about the same speed as Stainless :)

I just read something suggesting that the "no bounce" thing is intentional, in order to give the startup the appearance of greater speed. When it loads, it stays as a background process, and jumps to the foreground when it's done, thus bypassing the bounce.

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=727889