Google Chrome - Battery Drain?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pat.micunnis, Oct 30, 2013.

1. pat.micunnis macrumors regular

I just received my 15" 2.6/16/1 TB/750 M. I noticed the battery levels fluctuates (+/- 20 to 40 minutes).

Are other Haswell rMBP owners seeing their battery drain faster with Google Chrome? I only have 5 tabs open. When I close a tab, the battery level increases by 15 minutes!

In the Mavericks forum, there are posts about the known bug about Google Chrome helper not responding.

Attached Files:

2. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i find the opposite, safari chews up tons of memory for me and chrome does not same goes with battery.

3. covertash macrumors member

Same here.

I have more tabs open and less memory usage in Chrome. Of course if I check the Activity Monitor, Chrome is the energy hog out of the few programs I am currently running, but it's all relative to the moment.

4. Animalk macrumors 6502

Safari has been much more power efficient than Chrome for me over the last couple of years.

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Chrome is definitely sucking power for me. It always comes up in the Apps Using Significant Energy.

6. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

mine's definitely hitting my battery as i've used 10% in maybe 45 minutes

7. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Chrome still annoyingly forces the dGPU to be used even though it's not needed, which consequently will devour your battery life.

I recommend installing gfxCardStatus and forcing it into iGPU-only mode if you want to use Chrome on battery power.

8. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

What about those of us with Iris only? I have the 13" model.

9. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Hmmm... maybe turn the brightness down to zero and use some night vision goggles ;)

I have no idea, to be honest.

10. actuallyinaus, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

actuallyinaus macrumors regular

you can see from that image pepper flash player is the main culprit, i suggest:
    using click-to-enable for flash objects;
    or don't use flash at all;
    or have two browsers one with flash and one without

11. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Chrome is a battery hog on my rMBP. Safari is much more power efficient.

12. alex.maxham macrumors newbie

I've been finding the same thing here, and I've been using Chrome for years. I wish Google would fix it :(

13. rex450se macrumors regular

I've found that in what I browse on the web Safari is both more efficient with memory and less of a battery drain. I only use Chrome when I can't use Safari.

Victor

14. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

As others have already said it's mostly the content, primarily Flash player and activation of the discrete GPU that causes chrome to drain the battery fast. It's not only on the mac, on both of the PC laptops in the house my girls flash based games and clubs suck the living daylights out of the battery in windows.

I'm a Firefox user myself, mostly for the superior extensions and excellent sync, but on the MBP I run it without flash player installed and use a open in chrome extension to view flash based pages. I suggest you safari users remove flash player from system preferences and use a safari open in chrome extension, and chrome users use a flash blocker and as a lot of the drain is down to flash based ads use Adblock too.

15. Liberty. macrumors 6502

I don't have a discrete GPU in my rMBP 15,4 and Chrome still sucks up the battery quite badly. As high has 1% every 1-3 minutes.

16. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

chrome for mac iss a disappointment to me because it consistently uses a lot of resources and makes my macbook hot, on an average using chrome i run around 60C and above, sometimes 70C. but with safari i run a cool 55C on usage and even less when its idling.

17. kfmfe04 macrumors member

Although I prefer Chrome to Safari, my 2009 mbp runs noticeably hotter when using Chrome instead of Safari, sometimes enough to get the fans running.

It's bad enough that I have begun switching over to Safari for most tasks.

18. appleii.c macrumors 6502

appleii.c

For me Chrome uses up my battery quite a bit so I only use it when I need to visit a Flash based site. It could possibly be Flash since I notice some posters experience similar situations with Safari. I uninstalled Flash from my system so I use the built in one on Chrome when needed.

Your battery drain might not necessarily be Chrome but some of the plugins.

19. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Somebody mark this as the "answer" to this thread! (If only we could do that here.)

20. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Or just use Click-to-Flash in Safari. I use Safari and Firefox if Safari won't work with a particular website, I don't need to use Chrome at all.

21. Liberty. macrumors 6502

I don't have a discrete GPU and already use a flash blocker. Chrome still drains by battery like crazy.

There are better extensions in Chrome available that I use on a daily basis.

22. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Then you are stuck with Chrome's poor resource usage - not all of which is just flash-related.

23. jimmyco2008 macrumors regular

Yes, Chrome is a resource hog.

When browsing with Chrome, OS X tells me I have about 4 hours of battery left, and my Macbook (13" rMBP) gets pretty hot.

Currently I'm in Safari, and OS X says I have around 10 hours of battery left.

If it truly is Flash behind all this, here's to an HTML5 video future. Seems to be the way things are going, anyway.

24. Hansana macrumors member

Agreed. 10000% chrome sucks the battery and starts spinning the fans when running you tube videos. On battery.