Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
I've just installed the Google Chrome beta for Mac. When I open it, this is what I see:

20091208-r8sqqe8r5ib9pp1q55ek3x97kp.png

A bunch of little boxes with an "A" character in them. I believe this is the "Last Resort" font that displays when the desired font is unavailable. I do use a font manager so it's possible the font Google Chrome is looking for isn't activated. What would that font be?

astroot

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
Here's a screenshot.. not sure how to help you. :confused:

Attachments

• chrome-screen.png
    chrome-screen.png
    638 KB · Views: 357

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
It's strange. Definitely has something to do with font management, though, because Chrome runs just fine in my wife's account on the same computer.

:confused::confused:

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Can't really say it's a bug if it's only happening on my system and not anyone else's.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Figured it out. The Arial font must be in either /Library/Fonts or ~/Library/Fonts for it to work. I use FontExplorer X Pro, which means my fonts are stored in another location on my hard drive. Not sure why Chrome can't figure this out while all other OS X apps can.

cAPS lOCK

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2009
I;m having this happen in Chrome 5.0 for me. But it is any Verdana font. I have

Verdana.ttf
Verdana Bold.ttf
Verdana Bold Italic.ttf
Verdan Italic.ttf

all in my /Library/Fonts folder

I even copied all the fonts in there over to the User Home folder user/Library/Fonts and it still won't work. Im using Suitcase Fusion 2 and I have Verdana activated.

What is going on? I can't even use Chrome because of this.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
You can always try clearing your font cache. Open Terminal (in Utilities) and enter

Code:
atsutil databases -removeUser

Then logout or restart, and try again. You may need to restart a second time.

EndUser5

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2011
Arial, Verdana? Basic stuff needs fixing

I tried both Arial and Verdana, activating them in Font Book and clearing font caches along the way. Arial made the situation worse: with that activated, all display fonts (both Standard and Sans Serif headers) came up as "A". With Verdana activated, the standard font was fine but the headers on the page were all "A". As much as I like the way Chrome works, who has time for this nonsense when other browsers long ago figured this out?:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.