"Google Chrome changes could 'destroy' ad-blockers"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by einsteinbqat, Jan 24, 2019.

1. einsteinbqat macrumors regular

einsteinbqat

Not very surprising…

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-46988319

2. darkcompass macrumors member

darkcompass

Meh, Safari all the way.
    Firefox on Windows.

3. einsteinbqat thread starter macrumors regular

einsteinbqat

And yet, so many people use Chrome nonetheless.

4. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

Then I hope this is a wake-up call to "so many people" to switch to a mature browser that actually gives people the basic respect of making their own decisions whether or not to block ads

5. Gravydog316 macrumors 6502

Gravydog316

Lots of people use Windows;
    it doesn't mean they should.
    (& i won't even get into politics)

6. michelb76 macrumors member

Same thing happened to Safari, this is no big deal. Now you need to use system/network level blocking to properly block adds. I'm using Adguard and that is working great for every browser I'm using, but there are several options.

7. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

Do you know of an alternative option that is not money-grabbing, subscription-bound or system-hogging, not to accuse Adguard of all of these particularly?

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

The better question is, how could one trust an ad blocker than isn't "money-grabbing" as you put it?

If you aren't paying money, you aren't the customer; you're the product.

9. michelb76 macrumors member

Yes, a Pi-hole, or routerbased setup, or similar options. You can make a gigantic hosts file, which is also cumbersome.
    I didn't want those options, because I just want stuff to work so I can work. I find Adguard to be extremely unobtrusive and I don't notice it in terms of performance. You can get a trial or "find another way to obtain it". I have decided to purchase it on 2 macs for a year, so far I'm pretty happy, but annoyed that I have to do this.

10. willmtaylor, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019 at 10:39 AM

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

"Shocking that the world's largest advertising company would want to prevent ad blocking on their ‘free’ browser."
    -No one​

11. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

I don't think it's that simple. There are addons like uBlock which are open-source, and I can't imagine that's a case where the customer becomes a product. https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Privacy-policy

12. Mendota macrumors member

Mendota

I use Windows because it is more versatile than MacOS and it doesn't limit my choices. It is fast and powerful, the reason that most people prefer it. The same perhaps hold true for Chrome. Most of Google tools are quite good. One has to decide if they want to pay Google real price. They are a ad company.

13. MacBH928 macrumors 68030

MacBH928

There is no reason to use anything Google except for YouTube. Browsers: FireFox, Safari, Brave, Edge...
    Even if you use non-privacy respecting services(Box,DropBox), its better to spread your data than making such a powerful company like Google even more powerful.

There are maps alternatives, but GMaps remain the best. Its your choice if you want to give up your locations data to use their services.

14. dfs macrumors 6502

I could easily live without Chrome. I couln't live with out the Chrome extension Speed Dial, there's nothing half as good for Safari (why is Safari's extension library so povrety-stricken?)

15. maxjohnson2, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019

maxjohnson2 macrumors regular

That aside, Chrome has becoming a bloated resource hog and I would stop using it for just that.

I just find it strange people would willingly give money or use service by other companies that invades your privacy, but god forbid a good quality ad blocker is allowed to make money while providing extra features ontop of an already free service. Adguard DNS block ads for the entire network and cost no money.

And if you don't want to use them, you can set up your own "pi-hole".

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I loved Chrome but it was so unstable and a system hog, I had to finally dump it.

17. Gravydog316 macrumors 6502

Gravydog316

Let's all just agree that everything is good & bad
    --- Post Merged, Feb 16, 2019 at 2:05 AM ---

umm... no...

18. willmtaylor, Feb 16, 2019 at 5:34 AM
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019 at 6:07 AM

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Astute analysis all around (as always). :rolleyes:

19. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I am so glad I don’t use Google products. If this isn’t a wake up call for users, they have their phone on silent.

As to AdGuard, it is an excellent product. I got it on 2 Macs and my iPhone. I paid around $40 for each Mac, for a lifetime license. Cheaper than the subscription.