einsteinbqat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
Canada
Not very surprising…

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-46988319

Excerpt from BBC's article said:
Blocking ads could become much harder if Google makes proposed changes to its Chrome web browser, warn developers.

The changes could "destroy" ad-blockers, said one maker of widely-used blocking software.

Others said the update would make it far harder for users to stop firms tracking them online and make it easier for them to be bombarded with ads.

Google said the proposals were a "draft" and added that it would work with developers to limit their impact.

michelb76

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2016
Same thing happened to Safari, this is no big deal. Now you need to use system/network level blocking to properly block adds. I'm using Adguard and that is working great for every browser I'm using, but there are several options.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Same thing happened to Safari, this is no big deal. Now you need to use system/network level blocking to properly block adds. I'm using Adguard and that is working great for every browser I'm using, but there are several options.
Do you know of an alternative option that is not money-grabbing, subscription-bound or system-hogging, not to accuse Adguard of all of these particularly?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Do you know of an alternative option that is not money-grabbing, subscription-bound or system-hogging, not to accuse Adguard of all of these particularly?
The better question is, how could one trust an ad blocker than isn't "money-grabbing" as you put it?

If you aren't paying money, you aren't the customer; you're the product.

michelb76

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2016
Yes, a Pi-hole, or routerbased setup, or similar options. You can make a gigantic hosts file, which is also cumbersome.
I didn't want those options, because I just want stuff to work so I can work. I find Adguard to be extremely unobtrusive and I don't notice it in terms of performance. You can get a trial or "find another way to obtain it". I have decided to purchase it on 2 macs for a year, so far I'm pretty happy, but annoyed that I have to do this.

Pakaku

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2009

Mendota

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
Lots of people use Windows;
it doesn't mean they should.
(& i won't even get into politics)
I use Windows because it is more versatile than MacOS and it doesn't limit my choices. It is fast and powerful, the reason that most people prefer it. The same perhaps hold true for Chrome. Most of Google tools are quite good. One has to decide if they want to pay Google real price. They are a ad company.

MacBH928

macrumors 601
May 17, 2008
There is no reason to use anything Google except for YouTube. Browsers: FireFox, Safari, Brave, Edge...
Even if you use non-privacy respecting services(Box,DropBox), its better to spread your data than making such a powerful company like Google even more powerful.

There are maps alternatives, but GMaps remain the best. Its your choice if you want to give up your locations data to use their services.

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
That aside, Chrome has becoming a bloated resource hog and I would stop using it for just that.

The better question is, how could one trust an ad blocker than isn't "money-grabbing" as you put it?

I just find it strange people would willingly give money or use service by other companies that invades your privacy, but god forbid a good quality ad blocker is allowed to make money while providing extra features ontop of an already free service. Adguard DNS block ads for the entire network and cost no money.

And if you don't want to use them, you can set up your own "pi-hole".

Last edited:

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2016
Canada
Let's all just agree that everything is good & bad
[doublepost=1550311542][/doublepost]

umm... no...

BasicGreatGuy

macrumors G5
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I am so glad I don’t use Google products. If this isn’t a wake up call for users, they have their phone on silent.

As to AdGuard, it is an excellent product. I got it on 2 Macs and my iPhone. I paid around $40 for each Mac, for a lifetime license. Cheaper than the subscription.

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
I could easily live without Chrome. I couln't live with out the Chrome extension Speed Dial, there's nothing half as good for Safari (why is Safari's extension library so povrety-stricken?)
That feature started on the Opera browser. It's also present in the "New Tab" page in Firefox.

I personally think the less information we can give a marketing company -- Google -- the better. I only use one Google application, that that's YouTube. I use DuckDuckGo for searches, and I use pfSense with pfBlocker to give me whole-house ad blocking (yes, even on iOS devices!) and uBlock on Firefox to get the rest.

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
Yes, a Pi-hole, or routerbased setup, or similar options. You can make a gigantic hosts file, which is also cumbersome.
I didn't want those options, because I just want stuff to work so I can work. I find Adguard to be extremely unobtrusive and I don't notice it in terms of performance. You can get a trial or "find another way to obtain it". I have decided to purchase it on 2 macs for a year, so far I'm pretty happy, but annoyed that I have to do this.
I use Pi-hole and it works so well that I've disabled Ghostery Lite on Safari. A nice side-benefit is it also blocks ads and phone-home stuff on my phone and Roku/FireTV boxes as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.