Google Chrome for Mac Released!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jashsayani, Oct 25, 2009.

1. jashsayani macrumors regular

jashsayani

After over a year of Google Chrome on Windows (from version 0.x to 4.0), Google has finally released Chrome for Mac. It is a developer preview but is almost final and flawless!
    It also shows Version 4.0 in About.

I have switched from Safari to Chrome as its seriously fast. Here's how it looks:

[​IMG]

Source of Image: TwitPic

2. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

This is not an official release quite yet, nor is it even a beta release. What you have is only a developer build, which have been released weekly for quite a while. I do not think they will announce a release version, or even a beta version, for a couple more months.

3. jashsayani thread starter macrumors regular

jashsayani

Hmm.... All tech blogs including TUAW say "Google Chrome for Mac Released" and it says version 4.0 and works perfectly.... Not sure why its still not a final release.

Here is the developer build that I used earlier:

[​IMG]

4. jashsayani thread starter macrumors regular

jashsayani

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Chromium isn't even beta yet. It's going to be a while or hopefully by the end of the year as they promised.

6. jashsayani thread starter macrumors regular

jashsayani

Fine, it works for me so I am using it... I still have Firefox though, I would love a screengrab add-on for Chrome.

I have purchased LittleSnapper, but it opens the browser's link into the app and then takes a screenshot which is useless. Because, if you are logged into an account, the screenshot will be of the login page!

Once, I have something like Screengrab for Chrome, I will get rid of Firefox as Chrome is faster and smoother (Both in browsing and launching). The Firefox auto-updates during launches pisses me off!

7. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

This is old news, been running the dev preview for about 2 months now and the newest update whilst usable is far from ready for prime time and still has issues with plugins as in your plugins either don't load properly or when they do eat up CPU cycles

Attached Files:

8. jashsayani thread starter macrumors regular

jashsayani

Ok, I just found it out via TUAW post and some tweets. Have been using it since a day now. Not noticed about plug-ins as I am new to Chrome and am not sure about plug-ins available and how to use them...

I'd love to see a screen shot plug-in like Screengrab (in firefox) like I said before.

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Im not even talking that far ahead. Im talking Flash, Quicktime etc

10. jashsayani thread starter macrumors regular

jashsayani

Thanks for the heads up. I had not checked those. I will see wheather they work for me. Anyways, I still have Firefox, so it ok...

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Well the UI doesn't look bad at least. Looks much better than it's Windows counterpart, which is fugly.

12. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

It's far from flawless.... the flash issues, and the non-existant bookmark manager (even though the option is there, clicking it does nothing), along with other bugs.... it's not final, and as far as I'm concerned, it has a long way to go. This is nothing but another developer preview like the one released months ago. I don't get why all these "tech" sites are saying Chrome for Mac is released when it's just another developer preview. If it WAS released as a final build, it would be available on the Chrome homepage.

13. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

14. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Talk about a misleading thread title... but at any rate, this latest release is a LOT more advanced than the last time I checked it out (which was a long long time ago). UI looks mostly complete with nice little animations and such.

The XP UI looks ugly (though it fits right in with the default blue XP theme I guess :() but in Aero it actually works quite nicely. The Mac version looks a little awkward with the window buttons on the left.

While I wouldn't switch from Safari, it does have some nice little things about it like how opening links in tabs will open next to the tab that you clicked the link from, helping to keep related pages together. And of course it does tabs on top the right way, not like the Safari 4 beta. I do use it over Firefox in Windows (just missing something good for ad blocking...).

15. jon08 macrumors 65816

16. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Much like Safari, you can remove it.

It imported my Safari bookmarks but the bookmarks manager isn't implemented yet, doh.

Although it does have custom Ui elements, overall it achieves the "Mac-like" feel, beating Firefox in this regard.

Attached Files:

17. jashsayani thread starter macrumors regular

jashsayani

Ok, now I installed Chrome on my Mac mini and its fresh. Now I need to get my settings (bookmarks, top sites previews, prefs) to the other mac. How do I do this??

Where are the Application Support files stored ??

18. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

19. jashsayani thread starter macrumors regular

jashsayani

There is not such path. I tried moving the executable (from Applications) but it did not help. The app in the DMG was 46MB and the app on my Mac was 96MB, so I thought its storing data within the app (in /Contents/). But that's not the case....

How do I move my stuff ??? The stupid Chrome sync (written below the first post screenshot) does not work when I click Start Now.

20. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

i expect some quickening of the momentum with Chrome for OS X.

latest alpha is screaming-fast, if still buggy.

Wow, I'm impresses with the speed.

21. jashsayani thread starter macrumors regular

jashsayani

Ok it is a bit buggy. I installed a few add-ons and now it keeps crashing on start-up. How do I uninstall the add-ons if it does not open??

UPDATE: I deleted the Application Support files and it's working now...