Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shawzborne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Hi Guys,

Google Chrome Helper keeps not responding here is the sample of the process running the latest mavericks beta

let me know if you find anything

thanks

Shawn

Attachments

• Sample of Google Chrome Helper.txt
    47.7 KB · Views: 528

MeUnix

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2013
San Francisco
Hi Guys,

Google Chrome Helper keeps not responding here is the sample of the process running the latest mavericks beta

let me know if you find anything

thanks

Shawn

I noticed the same thing happening when I use Google Chrome. I haven't figured out what/why it is not responding though.

bwat47

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2013
I happened to notice this too, in chrome 30 and 31 beta on mavericks GM. Also happens with opera which is chromium-based (in opera it happens to one of the gpu processes as opposed to the helper process). It doesn't appear to have any visible effects on the program itself though.

Shawzborne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
I happened to notice this too, in chrome 30 and 31 beta on mavericks GM. Also happens with opera which is chromium-based (in opera it happens to one of the gpu processes as opposed to the helper process). It doesn't appear to have any visible effects on the program itself though.

It does affect the battery life of the Mac as well as performance

MeUnix

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2013
San Francisco
My Chrome helper is always "Not responding" as well. I usually fix it by ending the task in Activity Monitor and when it shows back up it is working fine.

I haven't noticed it to drain my battery life or affect my overall system performance though.

- Kyle

Sccrapdog

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
I too just installed Mavericks a few hours ago and I now have a permanent:

'Google Chrome helper not responding' warning permanently displayed in Activity Monitor.

If I terminate that particular process it reappears with the same fault message in red. Nothing I can do to fix it.

34eco60.jpg

And the exact same issue with 'Pepper Flash Player'

35c0d4i.jpg

tongteh

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2008
LIkewise, would be great to hear someone who understand the situation!

my screenshot and you can see that it's taking a lot of memory:
Screen%20Shot%202013-10-23%20at%2010.50.02%20am.png

Solitonradar

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
I actually came across this problem today. I don't have a permanent fix for the Chrome Helper crashing yet, but you can end the process and it will return working fine. I'll post back once I figure out the exact issue.

As for the PepperPlayer, it's Google's crappy attempt at a flash player, which has been causing this issue for a while now.

The fix to that is easy:

1. Open up Chrome and type in "Chrome://plugins" w/o the quotes. That'll bring up a plugins page.

2. On the upper right corner, you'll see "Details". Click this and it will expand all the fields.

3. Under Adobe Flash Player, you'll see both the Pepper player, and the Official flash player (if it is installed, if not; install it).

4. Click "Disable" on the Pepper player and restart the browser.

Done. You'll surely see a flash player performance gain and no more issues.

Sccrapdog

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
That does not work for me.. I terminate the non-responding process and it relaunches itself in the non-responding state. For 24 hours i have been playing this cat and mouse game with Chrome helper..

2iuxjm0.jpg

I actually came across this problem today. I don't have a permanent fix for the Chrome Helper crashing yet, but you can end the process and it will return working fine. I'll post back once I figure out the exact issue.

As for the PepperPlayer, it's Google's crappy attempt at a flash player, which has been causing this issue for a while now.

The fix to that is easy:

1. Open up Chrome and type in "Chrome://plugins" w/o the quotes. That'll bring up a plugins page.

2. On the upper right corner, you'll see "Details". Click this and it will expand all the fields.

3. Under Adobe Flash Player, you'll see both the Pepper player, and the Official flash player (if it is installed, if not; install it).

tongteh

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2008

The fix to that is easy:

Thanks! Solved the Pepper player issue but +1 on the chrome helper still.

Solitonradar

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
No problem guys. I've been looking into the Chrome Helper issue and still haven't found a culprit. It looks like it's a bug inside Chrome itself, so we'll see what I can find out.

Back to crawling through logs.

Unix4Mac

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2011
It appears to be an issue with the sandboxing in OS X. Looking the system log I see this:

Google Chrome Helper[10386]: Process unable to create connection because the sandbox denied the right to lookup com.apple.coreservices.launchservicesd and so this process cannot talk to launchservicesd. : LSXPCClient.cp #426 ___ZN26LSClientToServerConnection21setupServerConnectionEiPK14__CFDictionary_block_invoke() q=com.apple.main-thread

And from the aforementioned Google support thread:

"Renderers and helpers have different sandbox profiles, and renderers run the main thread with MessagePumpNSApplication."

I don't notice any performance degradation, but it's certainly affecting battery life, or so I would presume since both processes are consuming CPU (Pepper Flash, in particular) and each are logging hours of CPU time, with Pepper Flash logging almost 60 hours of CPU, just shy of the time logged by the kernel_task process!

sgflaviu

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2013

The fix to that is easy:

Thanks a million ;)

superdx

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
I've actually disabled Pepper many months ago. It would hard lock my Mac Pro and only way to recover was to do a power cycle. After installing the actual Adobe plug-in, all has been fine. I'd actually recommend people not to use Pepper at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.