Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google yesterday updated the iOS version of Google Chrome with two new features for the iPhone and iPad web browsing app. On iOS devices that support 3D Touch, users can now 3D Touch on Google Chrome to bring up a quick access menu that now includes "Scan QR Code," directly integrating a feature that traditionally requires users to download a random third-party app to be able to scan codes.

google-chrome-update-800x708.jpg

In addition to the new Scan QR Code option, from the 3D Touch menu users can initiate a Voice Search, start a New Incognito Tab, open a regular New Tab, or open the most recent copied link. Users can also use Spotlight on iOS to search for "QR Code" and Chrome's "Scan QR Code" function will appear in the results list.

Additionally, the update has redesigned the tab switcher on the iPad version of Google Chrome, which the company says makes "it easier to access your open sites" within the app.

Google Chrome is available to download for free on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Chrome iOS Update Adds QR Code Scanner to 3D Touch Menu

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I had written off QR codes for their inherent inconvenience. The fact you needed a special app to use them was a deal breaker. Google's solution is clever but I won't use a Google product for the usual reasons.

If Apple built a code reader into Safari or iOS, I would be likely to use QR codes. Better yet, why can't our devices read a printed web URL much like ApplePay can read a physical creditcard number?

Reactions: Happy-Mac

tweak25

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2014
If Apple built a code reader into Safari or iOS, I would be likely to use QR codes. Better yet, why can't our devices read a printed web URL much like ApplePay can read a physical creditcard number?

I concur. This would be great and I'm surprised this isn't already a feature.

Concerning the article, I suspect this feature isn't accessible on devices without 3D Touch?

Reactions: Happy-Mac

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
Safari needs better 3d touch here my idea
  • paste url
  • paste and go
  • last close tab
  • qr scanner

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
QR codes are like cockroaches. They just wont die.
QR codes are like VX gas. It's one of those things we wish we could disinvent. Hey-o, The Rock shout out!
Hmm, I do see how some folks don't like them, but QR codes are one of my favorite "technologies" ever.

They are extremely universal in the way they can be used and accessed with.
Or created, too. You can simply PRINT them.

Not everyone has the luxury of living in a perfect Apple world where everything is electronic and wireless and there are no niche needs ever that require certain things to keep working for extended periods of time using one standard.

As long as you have to expect older technology to be around that at least has a reasonable camera for a little code and RFID's openness on iOS is as limited as it is QR-Codes are bound to be around for a long time.

Also they can be very wide-range, something that RFID typically isn't, at least not intentionally.

Glassed Silver:mac

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
They are extremely universal in the way they can be used and accessed with.
i can't really agree with that. The fact that many users have to go out of their way and download an app to read them is a huge inconvenience. Franky I'm surpassed they are as common as they are. Almost nobody I know actually uses them. That said I do like the concept.
[doublepost=1486085188][/doublepost]
Concerning the article, I suspect this feature isn't accessible on devices without 3D Touch?
Of course you can't launch it via the icon without 3d touch, but you can just type "qr" into the universal search bar to jump straight to it. It is still very quick.

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
Ah the QR code. Perfect for loading exploits on the masses. Find exploit, put it on the web, make qr code. Print on stickers and replace the legit ones you find out and about. Or even make your own flyers with something like "Enter to win $1000 just scan me!"

User see, user scan, user exploited. Is so great because it usually loads the url immediately.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
If by dying, you mean getting added to almost all products on store shelves these days, then yes, I guess it is dying.

I didn't notice, I am almost sure a couple years back I read something about calls to end QR codes

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
I didn't notice, I am almost sure a couple years back I read something about calls to end QR codes
There are calls to end pretty much every thing these days. But that doesn't necessarily mean anything. QR are mainstream now. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.