Google Chrome keeps freezing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LucasG, Jul 3, 2014.

1. LucasG macrumors regular

LucasG

For some odd reason, since I last made a clean install of Mavericks once I got my MBPr Chrome has been randomly freezing and closing it won't do anything until I force it. This happens randomly after a few minutes, 2 - 5 to be exact, you can't browse anymore once it happens.

I've tried deleting the profile through settings, reinstalling Dev and Non-Dev branch, using AppZapper to remove it and still, won't work.

Any ideas?

2. Cubytus macrumors 65816

3. LucasG thread starter macrumors regular

LucasG

Unfortunately the joke isn't funny, as I don't use it as my main OS, but only to check certain web development things. I've never seen it working like this before on Windows or other OS X installations. :confused:

4. LucasG thread starter macrumors regular

LucasG

Anyone any clue on how could I get this fixed?

5. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Do you have any add-ons any installed? Try disabling them to see if this is being caused by one.

I've never found uninstall apps such as AppZapper to be to reliable, they always leave stuff behind.

In any case I think it may be some corrupted profile or preference file. To have a fresh start, try and remove the following:

• Library -> Application Support -> Google -> Chrome
    • Library -> Preferences -> com.google.Chrome.plist
    • Applications -> Google Chrome.app

Then restart and download the latest stable version.

6. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Chrome is fine for me but Firefox is even worse than your Chrome for me.

Instead of just the app freezing it freezes my whole computer. Complete lock up. Only way to regain control is hold the power button and reboot it. Never was able to fix it.

7. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Chrome is much faster than Safari for me, probably 3-4x, especially with loading a lot of flash content.

I don't use it though, Opera is even faster, so I use that.

Infact between Safaris locked API which cripples Extensions and it's speed I'd say it's the worst of the 4 (Chrome, FF, Opera, Safari)

8. LucasG thread starter macrumors regular

LucasG

What do you know. It was that crappy Flash plugin crashing it for some reason. Removed it and it's all good now. I guess I will avoid using Flash as much as I can. :rolleyes:

9. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Instead of hoping you don't encounter flash content on a page I suggest you get something like ClicktoFlash, or in Chrome settings choose "Click to Play" under Plug-ins.

That way flash won't run without your consent, and you can choose when it loads on content you want to see.

10. MLinneer macrumors regular

MLinneer

Chrome doesn't work very well with both the Adobe Flash and the Pepper Flash plug-ins enabled. I discovered that myself the hard way but I also discovered it seems to work about the same with either plugin, maybe a smidge better using Pepper Flash. I think it's chrome://plugins to disable one of them.

11. bully worm macrumors regular

I've always been a chrome fan but have had to switch to the ever so snappy Safari due to it being MUCH better on battery life.

12. LucasG thread starter macrumors regular

LucasG

Yup, I switched to Safari once I got my MBP, much snappier in OS X than Google Chrome. But I was a fan and regular user of Chrome. :p

13. Cubytus macrumors 65816

Flash has always been a problem on Macs, both on security and weight in the system.

Good to read the solution was, again, obvious. Flash isn't installed on mine, and while I do miss some content and can't go on a handful of badly designed websites, the overall upsides largely outweigh the downsides.