google chrome question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Benz63amg, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

hey guys, when i check the task manager inside Google chrome 12 it shows how much ram each tab uses and a google search page takes 90mb? facebook tab uses 78 mb, is that normal?

2. kevin2223 macrumors member

Sounds about right. With a freshly opened Facebook profile page in Chrome (albeit the dev version) memory usage is around 50 MB.

Chromium shows it around 150 MB, although the page has been open for quite some time.

3. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

On my Core i7, 8GB, SSD equipped MBP Chrome is a rocket.

Ultra fast even with 15 plus tabs open, the usage per tab is the same as yours +/- depending on number of tabs open. Doing extensive research, at times I may have thirty tabs open.

The value of lots of ram is priceless.

4. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

chrome is blazing on my i5 aswell, i didnt say it slows me down or anything ,i just said that it uses insane amount of ram, i personally have 12gb of ram so yea.

i think firefox 4 is better with memory management. firefox 5 is around the corner aswell set to release this coming tuesday, i think im going to use firefox. the smooth scrolling is smoothe aswell with firefox.

what do you think?

is the scrolling up and down on websites in google chrome 12 super smooth for you or not on all websites?

5. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

Chrome uses whatever RAM it can. If you're not doing much else on your machine, it will reserve extra memory for itself to prevent disk paging. Firefox will do the same. I wouldn't worry.